Not sure what software I need

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Canuckfu, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Canuckfu macrumors newbie

I stream my video game play using a bunch of software (HDPVRCapture, FME, Camtwist, Audio Hijack Pro, VLC, soundflower) I recently realized that Camtwist has a telestrator effect that I have successfully used during live streaming. However, I want to produce some videos with commentary and markups but don't want to do it live. I want to produce them locally then upload to youtube.

I've tried getting iMovie to see Camtwist as a camera source but without success. I would like something that captures both audio and video. If there is something that can capture Camtwist Studio's output as an input source I think that would be perfect. I am not even sure what to to call the software.

Can someone point me in the right direction or recommend a software?

2. ObuckiO macrumors regular

"Photo Booth" on Mac has all them weird effect settings(Camtwist style). I don't know if that works with what you want, but it works with iMovie.

3. Canuckfu thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to play around with that.

I was just playing with my windows laptop and found that I can do everything with Xsplit.

Xsplit takes the audio & video signal directly from my HD PVR. It also has a telestrator plug in as well as a source for my built in webcam mic. From there I can broadcast live to my JTV account or record locally to my HDD. All the audio from the game and mic as well as the video and the telestrator are recorded in one file.

For me to record locally on my mac I need to:
    Start up HDPVR Capture and select it to preview through VLC
    Then use Camtwist Desktop plus to use VLC as a source.
    Have all the audio set to soundflower
    Record two different inputs (VLC and my mic) in Audio hijack pro
    Use Snapz Pro x to record the the preview screen on Camtwist
    Then import the audio and video into imovie to mix it all to get the final product.

Thankfully streaming is not as many steps but certainly not a one stop shop as Xsplit is for windows.

Are there any programs for Mac that will allow me to stream and record locally like Xsplit?

4. ObuckiO macrumors regular

Alternatives for Xsplit for Mac. There are a few links at the bottom of page to look into.

5. Canuckfu, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

Canuckfu thread starter macrumors newbie

I;ve used QTB but don't think it does the telestrating but I'll check again.

The others are way more than what xplit is. Thanks!

Both QTB and FME appear to allow me to record audio and video to the HDD but I have to be broadcasting also which I really don't want to to do.

looks like there is not one stop shop like xplit unless I want to drop serious coin

6. PifMeister macrumors newbie

Another Solution to stream is to use BoinxTV: it gives you all function (Spotlight Telestrator and other) and is made for streaming+recording.

If I may ask you, what do you mean with "It also has a telestrator plug in as well as a source for my built in webcam mic" for xsplit; where can I find that option?