Not sure what these are called but help would be great!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Audio Blood, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Audio Blood
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Hello! Well, I dived in and bought an iMac yesterday, I'm in the getting to know my iMac phase :D. I've installed 4 programs, Firefox, Yahoo Messenger, Skype, and Second Life. Anytime I am using them, this icon appears (like the yellow one in the photo. This isn't my photo, I'd take one but I don't have a photo editing program yet). Like right now, I have iTunes, Firefox, and Yahoo Messenger open, so I have an icon on my desktop for my iPod, FF, and Yahoo. Looking at the picture closer, my icons are slightly different and have a slot on the front, it isn't closed.

[​IMG]

Is there a way to get rid of them? If I try to eject them I can't because the program is in use. I guess it's not a big deal but I don't want my desktop to be cluttered D:. I don't know if I installed the programs wrong or if this is supposed to happen.

Thank you :). I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but since I didn't know the name of those icons I couldn't search.

2. spinnerlys
    Expand Collapse

spinnerlys

What you refer to are disk images*. After you download them, you open them, copy (via dragging) the application to your Applications folder, then you eject/unmount the disk image and delete the downloaded file if you want. Then you run the application from your Applications folder.

To take screenshots, either use Applications / Utilities / Grab or CMD+SHIFT+3 or CMD+SHIFT+4 and find the screenshots on your Desktop.

[​IMG]

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. Audio Blood
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

Very helpful, thank you! I will look through the guides :).