Not sure what this defect is. Opinions? (Pics...)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by onthecouchagain, Aug 19, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The mark is right above the Enter key.

I've had my Air for a little over a week, and have taken great care of it. I honestly can't recall if this odd defect was there from day one or not. I certainly don't remember scratching it or applying any sort of significant pressure or action there. It's either a scratch or a crack. It's not a stain as it won't rub off.

Opinions? If this is a legitimate defect, I may exchange my Air, especially since I have a "creaker" too. Think Apple will honor an exchange?

I've run my fingers over it, and it doesn't really feel like a crack. I don't feel that sort of "break" in the material. Then again, it's such a small area. And i can only see it viewing it from the angle in the pictures. If I looked at it from the right side, the mark is nearly invisible, which may explain why I didn't notice it for a week until recently.

Attached Files:

2. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I would say that is a crack. The metal was probably already stressed to begin with and a little movement separated it the rest of the way. Take it back!

3. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

4. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

No, You should be able to take it back to best buy.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

A simple cosmetic blemish in the aluminum. Very common. Looks far worse than it is, that's normal.

I exchanged three thanks to the helpful genius at the Apple store. Opened them right in front of him and each one had the same marks just in different places. He gave me the one with the two smallest blemishes.

Nothing to worry about.

6. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Can I take it back to apple store for the exchange if I bought it from best buy?

7. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

That appears to be a crack that's about to go to the surface, just waiting for a little bit more stress.

8. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I would make an appointment at the Genius Bar, yes I am sure they would swap it out. Also if you call apple you can explain the problem and they will tell you the best course of action.

I called them today about an iDisk problem, I was only on hold for about 5 minutes and they are very helpful. 1 800 my apple

9. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

10. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure, but probably not. You can always try.