Not sure what to buy - help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macandipodfan, Jan 11, 2011.

1. macandipodfan, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

macandipodfan macrumors member

I currently own a 2 GHz 13" late '08 unibody MacBook. It runs fairly fast, but I hate the lack of Firewire, and the graphics can't run FCE very well. I have $500 for upgrading, so after selling my Macbook for $500, I have three options.
    1. Buy a used late '08 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (MB470LL/A).
    2. Buy a current generation 13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (MC374LL/A).
    3. Buy a current generation iMac (3.06 i3) plus a netbook.
    4. Buy a current generation Mac Mini and keep my current MacBook.

Right now I'm leaning toward the last option, because the Mac Mini is around the same specs as the current MacBook pro. This would allow me to use the Mac Mini with my 40" LCD TV, and keep the MacBook for light editing.
    Which of these options would be the best for running Final Cut and possibly After Effects in the future?

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

I assume this is a hobby correct? (Note: video is an expensive thing to do requiring expensive hardware)

Given the limits here would be my advice:
    1.) no way terrible deal
    2.) current gen MacBook Pro best option GPU, FW and good proc with DDR3 memory at 1066Mhz
    3.) no way GT120 is a poor excuse for a GPU and for your budget getting a used iMac and netbook bad idea (since I assume you desire a laptop) If you were investing all the money in the iMac you probably could make it work

Cheers

3. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

It's mostly a hobby. I do a few projects from time to time for clients, but they don't require anything fancy.

I've added option 4 and updated option 3. If I did get an iMac, it would get the current i3 model, which I could pick up plus a netbook.

4. peoplevoice macrumors member

iMac

I have worked with FCS 2 in an old iMac G5 (2006) and in a macbook pro 17 (2009) without any problem in both systems.

Any way I'm looking for an iMac. I'd go for the iMac.

5. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

I ended up buying an i5 MBP from a friend for only $1200.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

6. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Good choice i5 MBP better option then iMac with i3.

Cheers