Not sure what to get 15" Base AG or Ultimate 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bhynes315, Nov 8, 2011.

1. bhynes315 macrumors newbie

I have the previous version 13" MBA 1.86, 128 GB SSD, 4GB Ram.

I have had Macs for years, it's easy to recommend one to a friend, but when it comes to me it takes me weeks to decide.

I mainly do iTunes and internet/email. I know go MBA would be the reasonable answer, but money is not an issue. I love the Quad speeds of the Pro and may even put SSD to make up for the loss on the air. The air is amazingly light, but I lay in bed with my computer on my chest or at a desk, only time the computer travels is when I go out of state every couple weeks and carry the CPU from house to the car to the house and back, and again using at a desk or in bed. Not too much travel. But I can lift the air with my wrist can't do that with the Pro.

Why I want the Pro now? Its faster, more upgradeability as far as HD, bigger AG screen, without SSD the I may miss my air, with it I'm sure it would blow the Air away.

Why I want the Air still? I love the ultra portability, and lighting fast data transfer and SSD. Cheaper than what I will do to the Pro.

So like I said I know about all the speed differences, just looking for some advice, I've been given a lot of "get the Pro don't be stupid" I am just not sure if I will miss the Air or if I will regret not getting the Pro?

Would appreciate any feedback.

2. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Unless you are actually using the quad core for multithreaded apps you won't notice a difference. The screen res is the same although there is something to be said or a larger screen.

3. bhynes315 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to go with the High Res Anti Glare if I went with the 15". I may just end up going Air, I know the new ones are significantly faster. I guess you're right I really am not using any apps that would benefit me much with the Quad Core, don't do rendering, don't edit videos, photos, or music.

4. bhynes315 thread starter macrumors newbie

any other opinions before I leave my house for a CPU? Still not 100% sure

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Air, the new ones are more than fast enough, unless you really need the quad core for heavy lifting. As for upgrades, if the machine is up to speed then you wont be considering. If I buy another MBP, SSD is a must, and I am waiting on the next generation offered in 2012, hopefully with the same "blade" SSD as the Air`s

6. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Get the air they are awesome.

My Air has been the best laptop i've ever had.

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Agreed.
    I went from a mid 2010 high-res AG screen 15" to a 2011 top end MBA 13".

I don't miss my 15". At all.

8. bhynes315 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know its faster and all just wanted to reconsider, but I went with the i7 13" air, I knew I'd regret the 15" because of weight, and obviously spending some more on SSD and not using the processor all that much.

9. ecib macrumors regular

ecib

This says MBA to me.

For what? Email, internet, and music? The MBA will blow the pro away in terms of speed with the SSD, and if the Pro upgrades to an SSD, I would doubt you would be able to notice applications opening faster than they already do in the MBA

Traveling out of state every 2 weeks is actually more travel than 90% of the people who have an MBA do. This says MBA to me.

I dunno man, you travel often (imo) and use your laptop to just surf the web essentially. I can't see buying a 15" brick (comparatively speaking) as a good choice in your situation.

10. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

The screen res is not the same - the OP mentioned that he wanted an Anti-Glare 15" MBP or a 13" MBA. The Anti-Glare is High-Resolution on the 15" MBP - so it's 1680x1050 vs. the 1440x900 in the 13" MBA.

That being said, I'm pretty certain the OP made the right choice by going with the new Air vs the MBP. I love my MBP and my Air, but the Air's the one that travels with me everywhere. :)

11. bhynes315 thread starter macrumors newbie

i know my macs inside and out. i know what i should get and what i should not lol....but when it comes to me getting something for myself i love overkill and over thinking. now if i had a 15" air that will hopefully come out next year then i would't thin twice. i was in the same dilemma when i purchased my air last year. oh well guess i never learn. i just need people to sway me one way or the other to make me feel like I'm making the right choice.