Not sure what to get - iPhone or Nano

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roland.g, Oct 18, 2010.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Our anniversary is coming up in a few weeks and I wanted to get my wife a new Nano, but I have several concerns, so I thought I would turn to the forum readers for some advice.

She has a Product Red 2nd generation 8GB Nano now. She runs and uses Nike + but has always wanted some sort of wireless headphones. She is very resistant to the whole iPhone thing and this summer somehow agreed to using my old 3G for a day when I got my iP4. That was 3 and a half months ago and she's still using it. We didn't turn on the data package and she doesn't use ANY apps. And has trouble SOMEHOW using the touchscreen sometimes. I don't get it. But her 3G has now replaced her Nano for listening to audiobooks, though she still uses the Nano to run.

If the new Nano had Nike + built in and not just supported it would be a no-brainer to get her one in green, but since it doesn't the problem is that she would be stuck where she is now b/c the Nano can connect either the Nike + or a BT adapter for wireless headphones but not both.

So I started thinking of maybe getting her an iP4 on the $15 data package. She wouldn't use Mail, or any other 3rd party apps AT ALL. It would be a phone, iPod - mainly for audiobooks, she might use the Maps when she is out and about, and she would be able to sync to her Nike + sensor directly as well as use the built in BT to connect to headphones. I would get her the Jaybird SB2 Sportband. My only worry there is that I've used the Nike + app on my iP4 and had issues with it playing the same song over and over and weird things like that and have heard the App has issues in general. Though I suppose she could use a GPS app instead and then just use the iPod? This would allow her to track her biking. She trains for triathlons.

Anyone who can weigh in on which direction to go.

2. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

if you think size would not be a problem for her, go with the iPhone!
    If I were you, I'd probably buy the nano + some kind of wireless headphones. consider that the new nano now has a built in pedometer. you lose something compared with nike+, but if she doesn't use Nike+'s music features, it would be perfect and she will be able to use wireless headphones!
    just keep in mind that size and weight are very important when we're talking about running!

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I recently started running, and searching through running apps I decided that Nike+ isn't worth it. I use the free version of RunKeeper together with "Get Running," a nice couch-to-5K app. Runkeeper is good enough that I plan to upgrade it when I need its training and pacing features.

As for iPhone vs. Nano, that's a tough one. She sounds like someone who can't be bothered with all the whiz bang technology we go crazy over. She may complain that the iP4 is too bulky for an armband. My wife puts hers in a special pocket right over the butt in her running pants.

Maybe once your wife has a data plan and gradually starts finding apps that improve her life she'll come around. But I bet her first reaction if you upgrade her phone will be to roll her eyes. I'm interested in what you choose and how it goes. Good luck!

4. SnowDX macrumors 6502

My spouse and I just got the SB2s and they kill our ears. I've got a very small head and they fit nice and snug which I like but the foam pads are such cheap crap that you feel the metal/plastic speaker underneath and after wearing them for a bit they dig in so bad you have to take them off. The hubby said his were fine and I was just crazy but then he wore them for about an hour and said his ears were totally sore and that I was right.

They sound good though.

5. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

The Jaybird Sportband Headphones have gotten good reviews and are supposedly sweatproof as well as being backed by USAT (USA Triathlon). Trains for Olympic distances mainly, which is a 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike, and 10k (6 mile) run. She uses her Nike + religiously and tracks her running. The pedometer in the new Nano doesn't cut it and only measures steps, not distance, pace or anything else. The only part of the Nike + I don't think she ever uses is the Powersong. She just has a running mix of mostly uptempo songs that she shuffles through for each run.

I've seen some $4.99 GPS apps that are supposedly good on the iPhone for both running and biking and of course walking that will track stuff fairly well. I think it means she could listen to music while biking too, or even just bring the iPhone and track her biking data. She has a CatEye computer on her bike which tracks time, distance, avg. speed but nothing cool like route though a GPS map and of course no cumulative history.

My only concern with the new Nano is that the small touchscreen, new set of controls, lack of physical controls etc. will be too hard for her to use. She'll get frustrated with it. With either the Jaybird or Apple remote headphones she can control volume and track directly from the headphones so that eliminates some of the touchscreen problems, but I do see the eyes rolling already. She loves what technology does for her when it works, or I do it and leave her uninvolved, but otherwise she's a technophobe. We have an Apple TV and she loves calling up any movie for the kids at the drop of a hat or seeing our family photos on the big screen but if it doesn't work and you need to simply quit iTunes and relaunch to get the Apple TV to see the computer again, she throws a fit.

For the Apps, I would think one day, but she firmly says she does not want to be attached to her phone. She refuses to use mail, and even won't ever answer call waiting, citing "What does it say to the person you are talking to when you tell them you have to take another call over theirs?" But at the same time she loves her audiobooks and customized ringtones of '80s songs.

6. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

That sucks to hear. I don't think she would like the new BlueBuds they are releasing. USAT members can pre-order them. And I have RocketFish RF-MAB2 headphones that wrap around the back, but unlike the Motorola S-9s they are pads and not in ear so they are comfortable. But because of the wrap I don't think they would stay put for running and their buttons would be too hard to press on the move. They SB2 looked stylish and secure. And the sweat thing looked like a plus. But she has a small head and might complain about the fit too. She typically runs either 30 or 60 minutes depending on going 5 or 10k.

7. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Jaybrid told me they delayed the BlueBuds until January I believe (not that she's interested in them, but just in case).

When are you buying? I just got mine last week so have only had the opportunity to wear them twice. I've got them on again today and they are killing my ears already, been on for about 15 minutes. But, I am fiddling with positioning to see if I can find a position that makes them feel better so I can report back and let you know what I find over the next couple days.

Oh, and expect them to look a lot cheaper than the pics on their web site. They look like a child's toy when you get them and the fake buttons on the left ear are totally cheesy. I would have glady paid $25 more if they could have made them look less cheap and had better padding on the ears!

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

My comment is is taking a different angle; I'd be very cautious about the idea of running with bluetooth headphones.

In my running (less these days due to work+school), I regularly kill headphones due to sweat getting into them and eventually corroding/shorting them out in three or four months. I've even killed supposedly sweat-resistant Sennheiser sports headphones and ended up switching to cheap phones that seem to last just as long.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's just summer running in Georgia, and maybe her experience would be different. Still, I'd be cautious about spending much money on headphones to be used for running.

9. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I read 4-6 weeks ago that the BlueBuds would get a January public release but they would ship to USAT member in late October or early November. Regardless, I don't see her liking the buds. I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and have her not like it, but also want to get her a good anniversary present. Though xmas is right around the corner too. I also worry about getting her something gadgety as I know I think it's cool and she will like it when she uses it, she might not think it's necessary, and not be on her "want" list. But that's a whole nother story. What color did you get. I was going to get the Toffee Red. I can certainly wait to see if you get more used to them. She too has a small head, but I read some reviews on Amazon from people who said they did and really like the fit. They did complain that 1 hour max was about it for wearing them.

That was one reason I liked the idea of the Nano. She could clip it to her and listen to audiobooks around the house. But the more I think about it, I want to go with the iP4.

Has anyone had any experience with this Marware running band/case. It seemed to get better reviews than the Belkin Dualfit?

BTW, everyone thanks for all the awesome replies/help so far.

10. SnowDX macrumors 6502

I got polar blue, hubby got Toffee Red. It wasn't as dark as he expected; he says it has more pink in it than he was expecting. I think the Toffee Red looks a bit less toyish than my polar blue. Both of our colours are growing on us. I think some our disappointment may be that he ordered them at the end of August for us (present for me) and they didn't ship until last week so we waited a long time and then when they aren't super amazing when you get them, you're extra disappointed after waiting so long!

They do fit my head nice but they squeeze in tight at the ears which is why they end up hurting your ears. I don't think I've been able to wear them for an hour yet, but am trying to work up to it. :) I have no idea how these would ever work on big headed folks! They could help the issue though by having decent foam pads. These are really crappy. They came with one set on the headphones and a bag with 2 extra sets so it seems they expect us to need to replace them.

11. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Did you get them from Amazon? I contacted Jaybird. Ridiculous. They claim that only one set is included. But I have read that Amazon gives you 1 + 2 extra like you said. Jaybird offers 15% off their $99 price to USAT members, and for $9 you can get 10 extra sets of pads and another $9 gets you a satin carry pouch. However only the headphones are 15% off. And they charge $13.50 in shipping. So it almost negates the savings. Even if I just want to order 10 sets of pads from them for $9. They charge the same for shipping. Absolutely ridiculous.

Amazon has them for $89.00 with free shipping and what seems like the 2 extra sets of pads. I am curious if wearing them for some time will break them in a bit and make them more comfortable?

As for color, I think she would like the green but I don't care for the primary color being inside the band. She also went to FSU - Garnet and Gold - so I thought the Toffee Red would look good. Bummer to hear they don't quite look like that.

I think I may get her the Sportband and she can try them. I can always send them back to Amazon if not. My next thought would be to let her use it with her iPhone 3G and update it to 4.1 so she can use the bluetooth controls. Then maybe get her an iPhone 4 and one of those Marware running bands for xmas. She can either run with her iPhone and use a GPS app until then, or run with her Nano and forgo using the Jaybirds on a run.

My other question on the Sportband is what the Apt-X is that they market? I know prior to 4.1 you needed their BT adapter if you wanted to use the BT controls, but now you don't. I wouldn't actually order the adapter but I wanted to know what the Apt-X was and if you got the benefits without the adapter.

12. SnowDX macrumors 6502

We got ours at Expansys. My hubby's actually had an extra USB charging cable in the box too. Mine just had the one so I think it was just a mistake that he got two.

If you've got 4.1, you can use the bluetooth track controls without their adapter. I'm using them on my iPad right now so I have no track controls since no 4.1 for the iPad. My iPhone is coming this week so I'll be able to test out the track controls then. Hubby's using them with his MacBook and the track controls work for him. He has a set of older bluetooth headphones (iMuffs) and the track controls don't work on his MacBook.

The Apt-X is better sound quality over bluetooth. I think it's supposedly CD quality and you also supposedly don't get the occasional cut out that happens occasionally with bluetooth headphones. You can read more about it at http://www.aptx.com And you can't get the benefits without the adapter unless the device playing the music outputs apt-X.

13. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Thanks again for all the info. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that while I think they are cool, the Nano will probably frustrate her and that she isn't going to like waking it to use the touch controls etc, but she won't want to learn the earbud clicks either (which you have to buy remote headphones separate). The Nano also can't go Bluetooth and Nike + at the same time. And to work with the Sportsband or any or BT phones, you need a $30-50 adapter, which is ultimately easy to lose. So I will upgrade her 3G to 4.1 to get BT headphones track controls and hope that it doesn't render the phone slow and unusable. And I ordered her a pair of the Toffee Red Jaybirds. Hopefully she likes them. Then I may get her an iP4 for xmas since her current iPhone doesn't support Nike +.