Not sure what to get...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pfloyd, Jun 12, 2012.

1. pfloyd macrumors newbie

sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread.

anyways, i'm getting one of the new mbps, I'm debating between the 15' with 2.6ghz or the retina 15' with only 2.3ghz for the same price. I just wanna know how much extra power i would get with the regular macbook and if it would be worth it because i do ALOT of intense photoshop. mostly digital paintings, with really big resolutions. i also plan on doing light gaming, civ 4 and half life. maybe fallout. what do you recommend? i like the features on the retina macbook, but overall i need to be able to run photoshop very smoothly.

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I'm sure the new retina won't have a problem running photoshop. I don't know if there is any real loss in power. I would assume that retina would be the way to go for photoshop.

3. pfloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

should i plan on getting 16 ram? i hear that makes a diffrence

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If you get the retina MBP, then yeah....I'd get the 16GB of RAM since you can't upgrade it later.

If you are getting the standard MBP....then I'd upgrade the RAM on my own.

5. stevelam macrumors 65816

photoshop hasn't been updated for retina display and the adobe blog states they don't know when that will be. so be prepared for down time if you need it right away.

6. pfloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

don't need it right away. this is for art school. so is the amount of ram more important than the amount of ghz?

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Yes. You will not see a major difference in terms of performance between the 2.3, 2.6 and 2.7.