Not sure what version Macbook pro this is...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bozeefus, Apr 19, 2009.

1. bozeefus macrumors member

update: i just learned that the macbook pro is still under warranty (as expected since it's an early 2008 model) for several more months per the seller and confirmed from the apple.com warranty status website. my question is, if i buy the macbook pro and it needs to be fixed due to whatever issue, can i take it to an apple retail store to get it repair with just a serial #? i would not have in my possession any proof of purchase... :(

I found a seller for a Macbook pro but I have difficulty determining what year or model the macbook pro is.

This is what he told me:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
    SMC Version: 1.27f1
    Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

what is a fair price for this macbook pro if u guys are able to determine model version? thanks! :)

2. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Should be the early 08 Penryn model. Id say $1200-
    $1400.

3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

macbook pro 15 inch 2,4 ghz early 2008 somewhere around 1500 plus or minus 100

4. bozeefus thread starter macrumors member

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

www.mac2sell.net is a good online source to get a value of used macs. They're a bit on the low side, and don't take into account extras like software, cases, etc.

I haven't had a problem with taking a machine I bought from somebody else within the initial applecare warranty. If you want to be safe, you can have the original purchaser sign a form available from the apple support website and include a copy of the purchase to ensure you're covered. At the very least get some sort of documentation that you bought it that includes a serial number, like a bill of sale.