Not sure when to buy

Discussion in 'iMac' started by *Kaytee*, Sep 22, 2012.

1. *Kaytee* macrumors newbie

Hello. I am a new member here and am definitely not a hard core computer user. I only do basic open office documents, surf the web, and my kids have a few educational programs they use regularly, such as Rosetta Stone. I also use iPhoto extensively but overall my computer usage is really basic. :)

My (white) 2009 MB is on its way out and I need to replace it. It was my first introduction to Apple and I'm sold. I love the reliability of the product as well as the ease of use and have no desire to go back to a PC. However, my MB is having issues and I no longer want to put any more money into it. I'd say it works about 90% of the time. The other 10% I have trackpad issues as well as issues getting it to charge properly. When it works it works fabulous (although it is getting a tad sluggish at times), but when it doesn't I'm ripping my hair out. I can't run the risk of it dying on me completely as my children need it for their school work.

I've dreamed of getting a 27" iMac for years and finally broke down and bought one this week. I qualified for both the $100 educator discount as well as the $100 gift card for the app store, which made the decision to buy new ($1499 end cost) versus refurb ($1419) an easier one.

That said, I had no idea that there had not been a release since May 2011 and further searching has led me here and other places to read that there is the possibility of a refresh in the next couple of months.

Initially I was quite displeased to have paid the same for a computer that people have been purchasing for the last 18months. I know I will get the educator discount on the new models, should they come out, but if I return my (unopened) iMac I will lose my $100 app store card.

An even bigger concern of mine is if I return it, the new releases will have increased in price.

I realize everything is speculation at this point, but is it expected that there will be an entry level 27"? Does Apple typically raise the prices of their computers with each release or do the prices remain (fairly) constant?

I'm trying to sort through all the technical stuff, and I'll be honest, a lot of it is lost on me :eek:. I know the current 27" is far more than I need but I'm also aware that I won't be spending money to upgrade for a good 4-5 years so I'd rather get the most up to date. I've waited so long to get this computer that I know I'll feel very disappointed if I miss a new model by a few weeks.

But, I don't know if it's worth losing the $100 gift card and the risk that the new models will be released at a higher price point.

I don't even know if the new releases would even make a difference to such a low end user such as myself but it's hard to resist the latest and greatest sometimes.

Does anybody have any words of wisdom you'd be willing to share with me?

Thank you.

2. SinisterGoat macrumors newbie

Keep it. It isn't worth the stress of worrying about whether your laptop will die and the kids have no way to do their work.

The kids are more important than waiting on an update that you don't even need.

Enjoy it - it's still a fabulous computer.

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Did you try reinstalling Osx on your macbook before you went and payed $$$ for a soon to be out dated Imac?

4. whitel4 macrumors member

whitel4

2011 model will be plenty! I wish I had gone out and got it 4 months ago, rather than looking at websites like this!

Currently im a windows freak but Apple very much interests me and im looking forward to using the OS when a new model is out.

That said I wish I never looked on this site and just went out and got it 4 month ago.

Now I have waited so long it would be stupid for me to go out and buy it now. I honestly think the new models will be with us before the end of October and will be a redesign. It has to be. Apple would have just updated the specs back in July if it was a small spec bump.

Try reinstalling the OS. Might help with your MB. If it can last a month then wait. Or if it dies then go and buy one.

But then what if it doesnt get refreshed in a month and your like me and keep reading this crap and someone says Nov and then Nov comes and nothing!!

Swings and roundabouts!

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The main benefit the Sandy Bridge iMac should bring is USB3. The CPUs will not be significantly faster and their lower power draw is irrelevant since the iMac does not run on batteries. :) I have yet to see my 3.4GHz i7 run loud even at maximum load, so I don't expect the lower TDP brings anything to the table and since the iMac uses discrete GPUs, the HD4000 is superfluous.

So I'd stay with what you have. I am.

6. eldho macrumors member

I have bought and used Macs for many years so I can assure you that the tendency is for new Macs to be cheaper, as well as having better specs of course. In the longterm they get far cheaper as well as more powerful. I am much the same as you in what I use my iMac for and the specs will be quite enough for me for many years to come though I would have liked USB3 on my 2011 iMac.

----------

And by the way, although it really is luxurious having a 27" screen it is also extremely useful being able to have whole pages of documents open side by side. It felt a bit extravagant getting this size screen but it would be very hard to go back to a smaller screen after getting used to this.

7. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I just ordered my first iMac. I think that if you were happy with the specs when you bought it, then you are getting what you pay for. Most likely if they update the iMacs, it will just be a processor bump and maybe USB 3.0.

I took the dive because I have always wanted an iMac. The specs are great and I wanted to get in on the education pricing before it ended on the 21st. I'm not going to worry about new models that may or may not come. I will just enjoy the awesome computer that I just bought!! I can't wait for it to arrive!

Just keep it and enjoy the computer. It is a very good machine and will likely last you for years!

8. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

I am about to pull the trigger next weekend as well... either "old" one or "new" one.

Can anyone though let me know if the "2 weeks no questions asked" is only for online orders? (these are my rights anyway) Or does this work for stuff bought in store as well?

9. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

This is more or less what I would have suggested too ...

10. IamMarcoPolo macrumors member

When I went into the store and asked about the two week return policy they said to me 'simply exchanging the one you bought for a new model' will be be very likely 'unsuccessful' - i originally was planning on buying this week which would give me a two week window to release new IMACS, but they said 'dont rely on the two week return policy' as usually they have to ask ''higher up the chain'

11. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

If you aren't a power user, then you will not notice the difference in the few upgrades that the new iMac will have. Unless they release a retina display iMac (highly unlikely), you would notice no difference other than maybe a few cosmetic changes. The major things that enthusiasts want with the new iMac are an upgraded (Ivy Bridge) processor, USB 3.0, and newer graphics. Ivy bridge was only a 8-10% increase in performance over the processor you have and USB 3.0 is only needed if you transfer a lot of files through USB devices. I highly doubt your graphics card gets taxed doing the things you use your computer for, so no need to worry about that.

Keep it, enjoy it and trade up in 5-6 years.

12. dwmc macrumors newbie

I'd say keep it.

Life is short; enjoy it now. Your kids need it, and you'll all get plenty of good use out of it for many years to come. Honestly, unless you have a need for USB3, there's little to no sense in waiting an indefinite amount of time for an unknown machine. The current iMac 27" is a very good all-in-one machine with a great display, and you do have some upgrade paths to keep it humming along nicely over time (more RAM, SSD, etc.). You don't sound like the type of person who needs to have the latest machine just for the sake of having the latest machine, and if you needed every last bit of CPU power you'd have bought the i7 iMac instead of the i5. It's a tool, and if you're planning a 5-year cycle, the reality is that you'll rarely have the very latest machine unless we start seeing 5 year cycles for iMacs. Waiting will just be suffering, and the next iMac, if released in the next 4 months, will not be revolutionary. A bump to Ivy Bridge processors isn't significant for your stated use, there will not be a revolutionary display change (even if it was possible, it'd be a lot more expensive), etc.

I'd say move on. One thing I would advise if you're planning for 5 years of use... backups. If you don't have them now, I suggest a NAS of some sort. On the inexpensive front, say a Western Digital MyBook Live. Pricier but more robust... an Apple Time Capsule.

13. Johnnyjhi macrumors newbie

It is not fun any more!

Here is my rant. I am sick of waiting for the next iMac and going shopping for a pc tomorrow. This game of Apple's where we never know what to expect has gone to far. The wait has been too long. Don't buy a new Mac, I am not going to!

14. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You can still return it, but it sounds like Apple will impose the 15% re-stocking fee.