Not sure whether to get a MacBook Air or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kaibex, Jul 21, 2013.

1. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

I am going to buy a new MacBook this week and I'm not sure which model to go for. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for 13" but want some opinions from current Air users if you have any regrets on not getting a MBP?

I know the later will be more powerful but for what I'll use, I don't think it will hinder me too much.

2. hummel003 macrumors newbie

i was always planning on buying an air. i waited for the new ones, and after my disspointment of not having retina in the air i went to check out the air and the pro at the store. after seeing the retina screen u cant possibly pick up an air :p.
    and i didnt know that the air is actually bigger then the retina. so im defenitly picking up the new haswell retina when it comes out

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not needing some CPU or GPU power, then yeah the MBA is a great choice.

I personally like the all day battery and as long as you're not looking to run intensive apps you should be all set.

4. hockeyfanatic, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

hockeyfanatic macrumors member

I wanted the retina mbp 13 initially for the longest time. Even thought about the $2K 15" model.

I decided for school I did not need the extra cpu or 16GB Ram.
    The retina screen was definitely nice than the air. Alone, the air's screen was very nice. For another $550 I can get a 27" 2560x1440 monitor that would be more enjoyable than the 13" on the mbp. That was my decision.
    The 12 hour battery over weighed any other nuances.

5. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

Keep in mind that the 13" MBP's GPU is not as powerful as the 2013 MBA's GPU. The 15" MBP is a different story.

6. Spock1234, Jul 21, 2013

Spock1234 macrumors newbie

I faced the same decision last week. I initially got the base 15" mid-2012 MBP (current model), but kept thinking that the MBA would be a better fit for the way I used my computer. After sleeping on it, I went back to the Apple store and exchanged the MBP for a top-of-the-line 13" MBA (i7,8 GB, 512 GB).

I am very happy with my choice. My thoughts on the MBA versus the MBP:

1. The MBA was a great improvement in portability. Not just while traveling, but in everyday use. Much easier to handle.
    2. The battery life is amazing. I never got more than 5 hrs from my old MBP - the MBA lasted over 10 hrs in normal use (web, word processing, iTunes).
    3. The MBA is faster than my 2010 15" MPB in ripping and encoding DVDs using Handbrake (approx. 20 min on the MBA versus 45 min on the MBP).
    4. The CTO MBA cost $1849, the MBP cost $1799. Not a big difference.

I know the 2012 MBP would be even faster than the 2013 MBA, but I am quite happy with the improvement over my old MBP.

I hope this helps.

7. SusanK macrumors 68000

8. cookies! macrumors 6502

I was also torn between a MBA and MBP (either a retina or normal one). Here's why I chose the MBA 13".

- Much more portable and easy to carry around all day.
    - Battery life requires me only to charge it at night, like I do my phone.
    - Processing power is well above sufficient for everything except for heavy duty video editing.
    - It's quite a bit cheaper.
    - Most of the web isn't prepared for Retina displays, and because of that, many websites looks ugly and blurry on the rMBP. This goes for some programs as well (MS Office). Any extended reading I do on my Kindle.
    - 802.11ac means much better and future-proofed web performance at my place.

The battery life and 802.11ac concern would be solved by the Fall's new rMBP, but on all the other counts, the MBA still comes out as my top pick.

9. hummel003 macrumors newbie

the air being much more portable than the retina is bulshit. the air is even bigger in size although it weighs 300 gr less. 300 gr is nothing

10. munakib, Jul 21, 2013

munakib macrumors 6502

Air is much more "portable" to people who understand that its important during alot of travel. Your definition of travel could be slightly different from someone else, eg. for me, my work requires me to travel across north america/europe and asia - sitting in airports in constant basis and that 340grams and slimness makes a difference. I also like to keep the laptop on my chest/tummy while using it in bed...I have learned that only the Air is perfectly suitable for me.

If you do plan to game a bit or you are a hardcore photo/video professional - to take full potential of a 1300/1500$ computer, I would definitely recommend getting the rMBP over the Air

11. cookies! macrumors 6502

precisely, thank you. the MBA runs much cooler and is indeed more slim and has generally been much easier to run on my lap on the go constantly.

12. Zaphyrus macrumors member

I second this. I transitioned from a MBP and ever since I switched I can't say I miss it. Also going back to what munakib said, portability is a bit subjective. Before I bought my 11" MBA I was partial to buying another MBP. Decided not to because it made more sense for my lifestyle (commute to work via bike everyday).

13. mattferg macrumors 6502

For gaming, the current rMBP is a lesser choice than the Air, because the Air has much better graphics. You can only really recommend the 13 Retina after it gets its own refresh.