All iPads Not sure which iPad I need for my business

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jta98z, Nov 13, 2013.

1. jta98z macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I run an automotive shop and am looking into getting an iPad for multiple purposes and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I realize this depends mostly on my needs but here goes:

I want to use the iPad to store my entire customer database. Info about their vehicle, contact info, high resolution photographs, the occasional video, and as an avenue to accept mobile payments with a credit card. I also know that I will need a cellular model for on the road internet access.

I mainly see the high resolution photos as being my heaviest hitter, along with the videos. For this reason I know I want a retina display.

My main question lies with the capacity. If I plan on keeping this unit completely dedicated for work and don't put any music, fun apps, or movies on it, what size should I really be looking at? Would a 64GB cover my needs or should I jump to the 128? I have a client database of approximately 30-40 individuals and want to maintain 10-15 photographs. I can't see this requiring a full blown 128 but since it is for business purposes I don't want to buy a 64 and be pressed for room down the road.

What are you guys' experiences with the 64GB? Can it really hold that much information?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

15 pics @ even 2mb each x 40 customers = 1200mb or 1.2GB. So yeah plenty of extra space. 64GB would be overkill even if that were your main use. Data base text data and POS sales don't take up much space at all.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Do you have a program in mind that will let you do this yet?

Don't forget that most apps integrate well with cloud storage apps like Dropbox or Skydrive now, so storing things online that you still have access to on the iPad is fairly trivial.

4. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Sounds like even a 32 would be fine for your purposes. Don't underestimate iPad addiction though! Once you start using it, you'll find it hard to put down and may start loading it up with apps and media.

5. isephmusic macrumors 6502

32gb is what u realistically need. 64 lte model for security blanket.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You want to check out Tap Forms HD app to create your database, and Square to accept payments.

7. jta98z thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. Very good point. I forgot about this.

8. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

This is what I was wondering as well...

9. jta98z thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. A lot of great info here. Thanks for the quick and useful responses guys.

I have honestly considered jumping back to the 3rd generation refurb. I just don't want it to be too slow.

The biggest appeal there is the camera connection kit will still work. I recall reading reviews on the Apple website that said the lightning adapter for the 30pin camera connection kit didn't work right. Being able to upload photos onto my iPad on the road would be awesome.

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Just make sure you get the camera connection kit with the right plug (Lightning or 30 pin).

11. jta98z thread starter macrumors newbie

Right. I think I read that the connection kit doesn't work well through the lightning adapter for the newer iPads.

12. jta98z thread starter macrumors newbie

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

No Sir! :)

14. jta98z thread starter macrumors newbie