Not sure which laptop fits my needs-- advice needed

calexandre

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I'm currently using a black Macbook from early 2008, with a 2.2 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM. It's really time to replace it, and because it runs verrrrrry slowly and seems to be taxed by what I do with it, I'm not sure what to choose for its replacement. I've read some other threads of this nature, but haven't seen my particular user profile mentioned.

I'm not a gamer, nor do I do any video editing. I'm a professor, so I make heavy use of word processors-- but what really causes my Macbook trouble is the fact that I regularly need 30-60 tabs open in Chrome in order to do research. This is essential for my work.

My first thought was the 13-inch MBA, maxed out on HD space, RAM, and processor speed. However, I'm concerned this might not be able to handle my tab usage.

I could comfortably afford the new retina MBP, but I'm not sure I see the point-- most of my movie-watching is done on my iPad 2 these days. My second option, therefore, was the 13-inch MBP (also maxed out). I do like the idea of a faster processor and a bigger hard drive (mine is always too full, and I'm still struggling with where to keep all my iTunes stuff), but if I don't NEED those things for what I do, then the portability of the Air is pretty damned enticing.

I would really appreciate your expert opinions on what to buy!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm currently using a black Macbook from early 2008, with a 2.2 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM. It's really time to replace it, and because it runs verrrrrry slowly and seems to be taxed by what I do with it
Performance Tips For Mac OS X
what really causes my Macbook trouble is the fact that I regularly need 30-60 tabs open in Chrome in order to do research.
That should be easy for your current Mac to handle.
My first thought was the 13-inch MBA, maxed out on HD space, RAM, and processor speed. However, I'm concerned this might not be able to handle my tab usage.
Yes, it should handle it with ease.

calexandre

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Performance Tips For Mac OS X

That should be easy for your current Mac to handle.

Yes, it should handle it with ease.
Thanks very much-- both for the verdict on the Air, and for the link to advice on cleaning up my current Mac. I've been a bit baffled as to why it labors so much, and will try out some of these ideas to see if they speed things up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.