Not sure which laptop fits my needs-- advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by calexandre, Jun 14, 2012.

1. calexandre macrumors newbie

I'm currently using a black Macbook from early 2008, with a 2.2 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM. It's really time to replace it, and because it runs verrrrrry slowly and seems to be taxed by what I do with it, I'm not sure what to choose for its replacement. I've read some other threads of this nature, but haven't seen my particular user profile mentioned.

I'm not a gamer, nor do I do any video editing. I'm a professor, so I make heavy use of word processors-- but what really causes my Macbook trouble is the fact that I regularly need 30-60 tabs open in Chrome in order to do research. This is essential for my work.

My first thought was the 13-inch MBA, maxed out on HD space, RAM, and processor speed. However, I'm concerned this might not be able to handle my tab usage.

I could comfortably afford the new retina MBP, but I'm not sure I see the point-- most of my movie-watching is done on my iPad 2 these days. My second option, therefore, was the 13-inch MBP (also maxed out). I do like the idea of a faster processor and a bigger hard drive (mine is always too full, and I'm still struggling with where to keep all my iTunes stuff), but if I don't NEED those things for what I do, then the portability of the Air is pretty damned enticing.

I would really appreciate your expert opinions on what to buy!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Performance Tips For Mac OS X
    That should be easy for your current Mac to handle.
    Yes, it should handle it with ease.

3. calexandre thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much-- both for the verdict on the Air, and for the link to advice on cleaning up my current Mac. I've been a bit baffled as to why it labors so much, and will try out some of these ideas to see if they speed things up.