Not Sure Which MB To Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamr7, Feb 13, 2014.

1. adamr7 macrumors newbie

I need some help deciding which MB Pro to buy. I am new to Apple products and am starting with a MB Pro.

I feel I need more power than a MB Air but want something portable.

I do some graphic design so I will have Photoshop. Even at that I am not a full time Graphic Designer but do want something that can handle PS Elements and maybe Illustrator. Might do some video editing too.

I will use office apps (iwork), store music (5k songs), and pictures.

I need something that can handle PS and give me the ability to manage my media offline.

Does anyone use a MB for similar reasons or have suggestions as to which MB Pro would work for me?

2. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

If I’ve read your post correctly you’re getting a new MacBook Pro, you want it to be portable, and powerful enough to handle moderate image editing, but you aren’t doing HD video editing nor hardcore gaming nor running VM’s.

You’ve basically described the exact use-case for a 13.3″ rMBP with 2.4 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM, and either 256 or 512 GB SSD depending how much storage space you need.

3. adamr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! The entry level retina display caught my attention because, well it is the cheapest, but I think a step up from that is needed.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I agree with the recommendation but suggest erring on the side of too much disk space. Media files can eat up a lot of space.

5. elviorion macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as far as workload goes and what my intended use for the product is. I went ahead and got the 2.4 ghz retina 13". I stuck with 256 gig of hard disk because I generally don't store the media files on my computers hard drive anyway and use an external drive. Everyone seems to agree that 8 gig is enough ram..I went with 16 anyway but thats just me. I'm sure 8 gig IS enough, but I wanted to make sure my investment covered my needs and then some.

6. leman macrumors 604

Any laptop currently sold by Apple is more then enough for the described tasks. The 13" rMBP is a very good choice, but if you are on a budget, the MacBook Air will do just as fine.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

This pretty much sums it up.
    It just depends on your budget. The rmbp 8/256 base model is the best bang for the buck.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Even if it can be proven that your tasks will be handled just fine by any one of Apple's current offerings, get the next step up. Especially since you're already saying that you believe you need the next step up. It is tough to lay down the cash you're about to lay down and feel as though you didn't get what you really think you need. If it is a matter of not having just enough yet, wait. It doesn't sound like you're in dire need for it yet and it also doesn't sound like there is a risk of loss of income if you don't buy today.

Wait that extra couple of weeks to get the cash you need to buy what you want. I too vote for the retina MBP 8/256 model.

10. adamr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah when I am already paying 1,200+ I don't have an issue paying a couple hundred more. Especially since I want this to last me awhile.

Thanks everyone for their replies. All have been helpful. I had given some thought to a MB Air but you all confirmed what I suspected (MB Pro is the way to go)

11. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Since you are waiting a few weeks, if you can afford it go for the 16GB & 512GB FS SSD + 750m. Very future proof.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely, the MBP is the best route, and I'd say the rMBP. I'd look to getting a 256GB SSD minimum, maybe a 512GB if you think you'll be saving a lot of large files

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Future proof and computers don't exactly belong in the same sentence.

14. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Overkill for someone new to Mac and creative apps.

I'd say the 2.4/8/256, maybe with the 512 upgrade.

Something to consider is size. If you currently use a 15" laptop, it may be worth looking at the 15" MBPs. If you want portable, the 13" is usually recommended, but I understand that the 15" isn't too bad.

But quite honestly I think the 2.4/8/256 or 512 is a good machine to start with. If you need something different, you can always sell it.