Not taking the chance on first release covers this year...

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ReallyBigFeet, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Last year, when the iPad 2 was released, I pre-ordered 3 covers...Yoobao's, one from iNCase and one from incipio. Of the three, all of them had fit and finish and issues. Three months later I settled on an Incase model I picked up at Best Buy and it fit perfect. It was the second generation of their cover for the iPad 2.

I'm not making that mistake again this year. Yes, I'm as OCD as the rest of you and really fret over not having a cover for my iPad 3rd Gen. I work in construction sites all day long and mine gets laid on top of sawdust and metal shaving-covered stacks of plywood and construction materials several times per day. Maybe I'll try and cram it into one of my older Yoobao cases (since they were already beat up anyways) until I can get a good case that fits. But I played the pre-order and disappointment game last year and really don't think I am willing to trust anything that's hot off the assembly line this year. They just have too many fit issues with a new design until AFTER they get a real model to play with.

Good luck to the rest of you...I hope to read some positive reviews on cases that are perfect on the first iteration this year.

2. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Same here. My gut says wait so that's what I'm going to do.

3. ValentinoV macrumors member

4. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Ditto....Canceled my case and got a nice sleeve to hold me over. ;)

5. christof macrumors 6502

Strong recommendation for the Kensington K62911US Reversible Netbook Sleeve. It's snug and it's cheap ($4 on Amazon). I've been using mine since first-generation original iPad was released.

6. str8bucs macrumors regular

7. max pl macrumors regular

whats the point of even bothering with a second gen cover if youre gonna go months without one?

unless you somehow manage to fit an ipad 2 case on there somehow...

8. oli356 macrumors 6502

I bought a smart cover - I was going to return within the 14 days.
    I bought a sleeve for £10 belkin, hopefuly it fits the iPad 3 with a smartcover, it does for the iPad 2. So thats £35. Also got the screenprotector ready.

I will be waiting till Friday and see what happens with cases. I like the look of the Skinny but the material.. I dont know, I can get it in the UK quickly.
    Interested to see the reviews on the Lexington though.

9. glen e macrumors 68030

I talked to I-carbons this morning - they receive their ipad this friday like the rest of us and can set their machine to cut the proper skin by 3 pm and shipping the next day. I'm going that route for now, I have written about this extensively here, until the case makers have one in front of them, it's just a hip shoot as to if something fits now...and there is a whole lot of money to be made for those that advertise "fits ipad3" NOW as the demand has never been greater. It like a con man walking into a party with all the partygoers hanging hundreds out of their back pocket....

10. ReallyBigFeet thread starter macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

This is what I did last year...the skin makers had stuff ready for the iPad 2 almost immediately. I used the skin + SmartCover until I found a case that fit properly and still let me keep my Smart Cover (Incase Mag Snap in my situation).

I don't remember which skin I used but it had this carbon-fiber look to it. It was fine for what I needed it for at the time.