Not the classical "drain battery thread"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alfon_sico, Oct 31, 2015.

1. alfon_sico macrumors member

alfon_sico

My iPhone 4S drain battery when it's in stand by mode 10% each hour
    If I check statics it shows 4h stand by and 3h in use

I changed the battery for a untrust one and iPhone has same behavior

Two chances: the battery was sold to me is a cracked one, or the is some process that don't stop as it should do, or the is some hardware component that need to be replaced

I have 9.1 iOS and now I can't check processes with the monitoring application as iOS 9 avoid permission on it. Besides I can't step back to 9.0.2 to Jailbreak and use some tricks on device. I reset network settings and data. It happen without restoring any backup and in both scenarios with iCloud and without iCloud account settled

I did several scenarios: with SIM, without it, Wifi on/off, and Bluetooth on/off. It has the same drain media 10% per hour. This morning I tried to do a full range charge battery and it took more 4 hours to down from 1%. Yesterday I catch a similar behavior on 63%. It seems that it depends when the processes stop doing anything. In a while I can check if it repeat this 1% behavior

In other hand I have a iPhone 4 with no use but turning on and it takes 5 days in stand by and battery level is still 80%

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Not all iPhone battery replacements are good. You can get knock off batteries on eBay or just about anywhere else and sometimes they'll work well, but most times they don't. Which is why Apple charges $70 to replace the battery in your iPhone. ;)

3. alfon_sico thread starter macrumors member

alfon_sico

I guess it's not a battery problem, it's a process issue (4hour in use - 5 hour in stand and the phone was in the table without SIM and without activity). I turn off a lot of services too

4. XT550 macrumors regular

XT550

Yeah there's definitely a problem. I get 8 hrs of stand by with 12 min of usage. And everything is on.
    That's a 4S on 9.1
    I would restore as new to make sure there's no software issue.

5. pSyCO_007 macrumors newbie

6. alfon_sico thread starter macrumors member

alfon_sico

Changed the battery again. It takes a little more time up to battery ends. New statics are 18 h standby and 14h in usage (but standing the phone on the table during all day)

Conclusion for me is that there is a motherboard problem that waste the battery.

System used 9.1 restored and 9.2beta2
    I think that ios9 drain battery more than ios7, sad that I can't downgrade to proof. (Jailbreak would give me that option and even I would get if there is any hidden process running)

Need to wait to TaiG or PanguPangu work

Any idea if I unmount motherboard or clean connectors I would resolve something?

7. QuickDraw macrumors regular

where do you get the batteries from? i bought 2 iPhone 5 batteries from eBay, from different sellers. Both were advertised as new batteries. Sellers had great feedback. Both batteries only had a few hours runtime until they drained quickly, one was a bit better than the other. After examining the battery, which had a serial number and a manufacturing date of 2015 on the shrink wrap plastic covering of the battery, i stripped away the shrink wrap, just to see another layer of shrink wrap, which showed a 2012 manufacturing date and a different serial number. In my opinion most batteries from eBay are recycled, where someone just put a new sticker on them. and you have to be somewhat lucky to get one that still runs decently.
    Anyways, just another possible explanation to consider. Not saying your conclusion is wrong.

if you are jailbroken, you could read out the battery data, and see the manufacturing date/cycle on that battery.

8. alfon_sico thread starter macrumors member

alfon_sico

9. alfon_sico thread starter macrumors member

alfon_sico

Changing dock and now iPhone works properly. No waste battery while standby mode

10. QuickDraw macrumors regular

Glad you were able to resolve this! Well done!!