Not the place to ask this but help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cheekybobcat, Feb 3, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I am completely aware that this is NOT the place to ask about a PC but this is the only forum I belong to and I figured someone might be able to help.

I have a HP dv5000 and it's messed up and slow as anything..
    I want to restore it but I don't want to spend $50 for one damn phone call to HP.

*Note* I DO NOT have any type of recovery discs or the OS installer discs, I pretty much don't have anything except the computer.

Please, can someone help me to system restore my PC?

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

What do you mean by restore it? The easiest thing you can do is reformat it. Take off any files you need and then reformat the C: and reinstall Windows (get another copy). HD won't be able to do anything for you via a phone call.

3. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

There are no files I need on it and isn't Windows expensive?

Is there any way that I can just clear my hard drive?

4. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Since there are no files that you want to save, I'd suggest trying the System Restore partition.

The instructions on using the recovery manager can be found here for what I believe is your model. Make the restore disks and boot the laptop up with them and it'll guide you through restoring the laptop to factory condition (how it was when it was first bought).

If you don't want to make any recovery discs (which I recommend you *do* make) you can use these instructions:

Otherwise, search that website for restore solutions.

Hope this helped.

5. lawson macrumors newbie

I read this the other day which might help you: http://shippingseven.blogspot.com/2008/01/try-this-instead.html

Basically involves creating a new account, then signing in as this new account, followed by deleting your old account, and then signing in as your old account (which will be recreated when you sign in again) - this will clear all your old settings and give you a clean registry but should keep all your programs.

I've never tried this though so I can't tell you if it definately works!

6. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

This is exactly what I did. I created a new account and signed on to that. Then, deleted the other accounts and selected "Delete Files". I had 3GB left and now have 46.74GB left so I think it worked pretty well.

BTW: It's only a 70GB hard drive

7. lawson macrumors newbie

Glad I could help - good to know it actually works too!