Not the typical itunes/speaker sharing question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jfresh56, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jfresh56 macrumors newbie

I seem to be having difficulty coaxing a search engine to find the answer for me, instead getting immediately directed to airport extreme info...

Equipment in Room A:

Cable Modem connected to Airport Extreme.

Equipment in Room B:

iMac, with external speakers plugged into the audio out.

I would like to be able to share the speakers of the iMac with my MacBook. It would be nice if I could just move the Airport Extreme and Modem to where the iMac is and just use the port, but I can't.

How can I set it up so I can play music from my MacBook through the speakers connected to the iMac, which is on the same network, through the audio port?

Thank you!

2. devburke Guest

You could use shared libraries to browse your Macbook's iTunes library from your iMac and play it through the iMac. If you want to control the music from your Macbook, as far as I know you're going to have to do the same thing, through screen sharing (meaning control your iMac from your Macbook, find your Macbook's library in iTunes on your iMac, and stream it from there).

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I don't think iTunes can do what you want. According to the iTunes documentation:

You can listen to iTunes audio through any of the following:

◼Your computer's built-in speakers

◼Speakers connected to your computer and a power outlet

◼Remote speakers connected to an AirPort Express network

I would suggest either trying devburke's method or buying an Airport Express or AppleTV for their AirTunes capability. There may also be a third party app/hack that can duplicate that functionality.

4. devburke Guest

EXACTLY why I want an Airport Express! It seems to me that it's just as good as an Extreme unless you need it to support a lot of traffic from a bunch of computers. Plus is has AirTunes and is easily portable.

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I don't quite understand your question, but if you download a program called AirFoil you can send audio from any program to any Mac, PC, TV or Airport Express (yes the two cool ones are Mac, and PC)