Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auero

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
My boss in the office wanted to get us all iphones (4 of us). Being centurion black card member (black american express card) he has certain beneifts over regular card holders. He asked them if they'd be able to get him the phones. They told them they'd either have someone wait for him in line or they'll order the phones and get them into our hands by saturday but she'd have to get back to us.

She called back today and I'm just echoing back what she said on the phone. "Apple will be changing the release to 9PM as an ONLINE ONLY offer to avoid all these lines and madness".

I personally don't buy it, I think it's a crock but I just thought I'd share and get some opinions on it.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
No. Freakin. Way.

Have you called or visited and Apple or at&t store lately? The June 29th, 6pm signage has been plastered everywhere for at least a week now.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
The only part of that that is true is the part where the online sales won't happen until 9 PM EDT -- 6 PM Pacific Time. This was announced yesterday.

auero

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
The only part of that that is true is the part where the online sales won't happen until 9 PM EDT -- 6 PM Pacific Time. This was announced yesterday.

she was probably misinformed. I don't believe that they'd not sell in the store.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
they just didnt want to have to make someone wait in line for him. said they'd only be available online so that thats what he'd have to get.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
She called back today and I'm just echoing back what she said on the phone. "Apple will be changing the release to 9PM as an ONLINE ONLY offer to avoid all these lines and madness".

Yes, telling hundreds of people who have been waiting in line for hours to go home is surely a good strategy to avoid any crowd madness.

Stupidest rumor ever. Well, right after the iSight-in-Home-button one.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
the 9PM part is technically correct since online sales are opened at 6PM PCT. This is by way of the Apple press release today. But, the whole no in person aspect is total BS.

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
No. Freakin. Way.

Have you called or visited and Apple or at&t store lately? The June 29th, 6pm signage has been plastered everywhere for at least a week now.

Signs are still up at the Phoenix Biltmore store. I was there 15 minutes ago. (No line yet, and no line allowed until tomorrow morning, apparently, per landlord rules.)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
the 9PM part is technically correct since online sales are opened at 6PM PCT. This is by way of the Apple press release today. But, the whole no in person aspect is total BS.

Yeah she got some bad information. The online store was always going to open at 9pm ET.

Now we know who buys this stuff off E-bay though. American Express.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah she got some bad information. The online store was always going to open at 9pm ET.

Now we know who buys this stuff off E-bay though. American Express.
The online store (according to one of the articles out there) was going down for 3 hours on Friday evening and would return back online at 6PM PT, which would be 9PM ET.

I think that's what she's talking about.

People who don't want to endure the madness at the stores could then (at 9PM ET, when the online store is back up) place their order online.

mikeymoves

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
NYC
The online store (according to one of the articles out there) was going down for 3 hours on Friday evening and would return back online at 6PM PT, which would be 9PM ET.

I think that's what she's talking about.

People who don't want to endure the madness at the stores could then (at 9PM ET, when the online store is back up) place their order online.

I am a centurion card member. I called and they told me that the concierge service doesn't extend to that type of service, however, if I purchase the phone with my amex, it would be covered 100% forever.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
You guys are doing this all wrong. You're supposed to believe the rumor and spread the word so there is less of a fight at the stores tomorrow. Sheesh :rolleyes: !!!

talk2dug

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
MY GF just come back form an ATT store AND THEY HAVE THEM IN!!!

The store manager would not tell her how many but did say they are in the back of the store.

Also noted an employee at the store got fired for tellign someone how many they have....

mikeymoves

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
NYC
MY GF just come back form an ATT store AND THEY HAVE THEM IN!!!

The store manager would not tell her how many but did say they are in the back of the store.

Also noted an employee at the store got fired for tellign someone how many they have....

OK, just got off the phone with Centurion again and got a different speech this time. Basically, they said that they would do the actual purchase online for you, but it won't be shipped for 4-6 weeks. Geez, for $2500 a year, you'd think they would take better care of their peeps!

Vernexto

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I called Centurion a little over a month ago in hopes that they might have some connections in getting an iPhone before the release date or help me avoid standing in line all day. As I'm sure you know it all depends what concierge you're using, but the lady that helped me assured me that the best they could do is order the phone for me online and have it sent to me (I could do this myself at the comfort of my own home) or have someone stand in line for me at the Apple store nearest to them (I guess that would be in Boston) and have the phone sent to me. The latter would cost me the phone as well as an additional fee to pay for someone to stand that (but they offered to have one of their employees do it). Bottom line, just go get it yourself if you want it badly.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
OK, just got off the phone with Centurion again and got a different speech this time. Basically, they said that they would do the actual purchase online for you, but it won't be shipped for 4-6 weeks. Geez, for $2500 a year, you'd think they would take better care of their peeps!

I'm glad that I ran into you here. I have some questions that perhaps you could answer.

1. If you're able to pay $2500 a year for a credit card, do you really need it? :)

mikeymoves

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
NYC
I'm glad that I ran into you here. I have some questions that perhaps you could answer.

1. If you're able to pay $2500 a year for a credit card, do you really need it? :)

ah...but the Centurion Card (and most amex cards) are not credit cards...they are charge cards! Truth is, no one needs it...

:)

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
ah...but the Centurion Card (and most amex cards) are not credit cards...they are charge cards! Truth is, no one needs it...

:)

Fascinating. (Looked up the difference on Wikipedia)

That makes a great deal more sense to me. Thanks for responding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.