Not too thrilled about the latest Macbook Pro Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickboy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. rickboy macrumors newbie

Here I was waiting and waiting and waiting and the update to the macbook pro finally arrives and for some reason i dont feel too thrilled. the only thing that is good about it is the longer battery life. I was hoping for a 6G RAM capacity and larger hard drive space. I can do without a larger processor speed as long as the UP the fronside bus and L2 cache. I think those are very important. they did that. its not a bad update, I just feel left hanging for some reason.

So I just wanna ask you guys if you think of the new rumors. the montevina chip set seems like a significant improvment ive been waiting for. I can care less about blue ray, im not using my mac to watch movies.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

All Intel Macs are fast. And Montevina will be better. Though the technology axiom applies, only buy if you need to, better will always be coming soon.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I would wait for the next mbp update as it will have a 1066mhz front size bus and make a huge difference compared to the current mbp. I own the sr mbp and I've played with the penryn from my brothers and tested it (2.5ghz model) and to me I dont feel a difference whatsoever, the trackpad is a bit nicer and thats about it.

4. 2bcool2 macrumors regular

the really big update wont be till next year ...ull b waiting forever so why not buy now and sell when they release the big one next year

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I say if you can wait until next year (probably around feb-march time) or maybe apple will surprise use with montevina this xmas time (since apple does have to keep up with intel's release and imho it will get updated to montevina late this year). Then just wait but if you absolutely need a mbp for work or whatever reasons then just buy now.

But that 1066mhz front side bus will make a huge difference. To me those people that waited for penryn got gyped real bad. They could have just bought the SR mbp and would have ended up having the same machine basically. Only diff is the 45nm (which isnt that big of deal or shrink, I played with my bro's 45nm penryn which was just a tineey bit cooler) and multitouch trackpad (I only see professional photographers using this anyway) and the frontside bus (which is the most crucial part of the upgrade) is still 800mhz and still uses the same 667mhz ram.

I think when the montevina comes out, it will have 1066mhz frontside bus and be able to equip it with 4gb of 800mhz ram, maybe a new design and more efficient and more complete 45nm chipset and maybe make the trackpad a bit bigger with the multi touch, and do something about higher res for the 15".

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If you want to know what an update will have processor and chipset wise, you look at what Intel is doing. Apple has no control over that, so it's silly to expect otherwise.

7. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I just bought my Penryn MBP and the step up from my PB was amazing! I didn't know what I was missing. I figured it was time since this was probably the last version of this PB/MBP "look" since a redesign is expected in Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep...when the SR replacement hits the street. An added benefit is this is not a Rev A design and most if not all of the bugs have been worked out. This MBP is perfect so far...no yellow screen, no fans running all day, no noise/static coming from the speakers, etc. That being said, I just exchanged my first MBP today (very slight white-yellow discoloration on the bottom 1/3 of the display). I tried not to "see" it but it just bugged me. The Mac Genius saw it right away and exchanged it without any further words from me. In fact, we opened the new one in the store and he asked me to check it out to make sure it met my satisfaction. I did some quick checks and this one is PERFECT. I'm doing a clean install now...