Not understanding Apple's response re IPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acrafton, Jul 13, 2010.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

So. . not here to bash Apple, etc. but trying to understand their response to the whole IPhone death grip. The problem exists, is easy to replicate, and is clearly a problem. For me personally, I just don't hold it normally (though occasionally I forget). I did a speedtest this morning and I can repeat the test and get the same/similar results ALL DAY long.

Holding flat - Down 1539 Up 1187
    Deathgrip - Down 177 Up 69

The numbers vary a bit (network traffic) but is consistent and repeatable.

So. . . why the crazy story about a "bad algorithm" for displaying bars? Clearly this is false. Demonstrably false. Job's initial response - "don't hold it that way" is true and helpful. A software update won't fix this. . .

I don't want anything from Apple re case, etc. but their treatment of the issue makes no sense.

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Because they wait...they wait in the dark. And then they will pounce, and they will laugh.

Oh how they will laugh, and we will cry. Oh how we will cry!:eek:

3. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Personally, I was most disturbed by the 'stunned' comment. I was stunned that Apple thinks we're that dumb! My iPhone 4 stays in a case, so I am unaffected, although a discounted bumper would be nice.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I laughed out loud at that!

No, Apple is keeping quiet until they decide what to do. Whether it's a recall or a fix or an announcement that simply says tough noogies.

It would be a bad idea to make an announcement now only to have to change their course of action 2 weeks down the road. You think the screaming here is loud now?

"APPLE SED THY WERE GOIN TO GVE ME A FREE BMPR AND NOW THEY WONT INSTEAD THEIR GOING TO FIX THE PROBLM! I WANT MY FREE BMPR LK THY SED!!!!"

5. zerostar macrumors regular

We were stunned!!! Stunned I tell you!!!!

It's all just a wicked coincidence they removed the engineering mode and built these special "problem-solving" bumpers all before the release of iPhone 4.

I have NEVER waited (for reviews) or passed on a new Apple product but this debacle and the response from it has made me very very gun-shy.

I don't believe a word of the press release, I believe they knew about this and Jobs was so arrogant enough to convince himself/others that the public would accept this and swallow it with minor implications. And I guess from what we are seeing that was pretty accurate.

I feel they scrambled when the phone was in production and couldn't find a solution besides totally redesigning everything. So they did this bumper, pulled out engineering mode and tried to save face.

When the story broke, Steve brushed it off and you can still see his followers torching anyone who doesn't just "hold it different"

Anyways, this is just my wild fantasy :-D and IMO obviously....

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

That's a pretty good story--certainly as plausible as anything else being said.