Not very technical and not sure what MBP to go for: Help appreciated!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmh16, Apr 15, 2010.

1. bmh16 macrumors regular

I have a MacBook of about 2 years 8 months so been looking to upgrade with the new line of MBPs. There's a lot i don't understand about these new MBPs. The applications i run often on my MacBook:
    - Logic Pro 9 (With external VSTi's)
    - iTunes (With a 100Gb or so music library i do find some songs can freeze the app (not the music but you can't pause or do anything in itunes), is that because my MacBook isn't fast enough and a MBP would rectify it. Not all songs do it but always the same songs do it.
    - Adium
    - Spotify
    - Mail
    - Safari
    - Quicktime Player / VLC Player
    - I do use DreamWeaver/ FireWorks from time to time too and may do a bit of Photoshop one day.
    - Not sure if it makes a difference but i plug in a usb audio interface for sound and for Logic Pro use. So sound always comes through externally from my Monitors.

It's not a huge amount of power most apps need but my current MacBook does heavily struggle with Logic when i'm using other applications especailly and regularly stops playing if not enough memory and can crash. So i wanted to get a 15" - I usually plug it into my 23" HDTV but do like the portability aspect hence why i'm not going for an iMac. As i can get a 14% uni discount pricing doesn't worry me too much. Also was looking at this, being quite non technical does this work in the same way as the VGA adaptor and do the same job? (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294)

Once again apologies for my lack of knowledge here and hope one of you can help me here! Thanks :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get the cheapest 15" and upgrade RAM to 8GB from aftermarket (~350$). You get better performance by doing that than getting a high-end 15"

Yes, that adapter works with Macs with Mini DisplayPort, so if you have HDMI in your TV, get that. It's better than VGA as VGA is analog while HMDI is digital

3. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome thanks :D When you say aftermarket do you mean on Apple site or getting 2x 4gb RAM elsewhere on like Amazon?

Also i want a 500Gb Hard Drive seeing as i have a 320Gb now and i'm quite full! SO shall i go 5400rpm or 7200rpm? It works out like £35 difference for the 2.4Ghz and 2.53Ghz model when i both upgrade to the 500Gb hard drive. So shall i gof or the faster one there?

4. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

You can buy the ram ~$350 from newegg. Sell your old ram as there is a demand for it still from MacBook users upgrading from 2 to 4GB. Buy the 5400rpm and then for another ~$90 buy another 7200rpm (which is 25% faster). Put the other 5400rpm in a $12 enclosure for time machine. Works out the same price and you now have a backup solution.

5. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in the UK, do you know, or anyone know any good alternatives in the UK seeing as newegg don't ship Internationally. And what make drive shall i look for of a 7200rpm speed?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, 2x4GB is 349$ from NewEgg. Many people are complaining about vibrating, heat and battery issues with 7200rpm so personally, I would stick with 5400rpm. If you really need space, consider betting 1TB and then if you want, get a 64GB SSD and replace SuperDrive with it to get speed + capacity

7. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

Alas i am from the UK, i think i will stick with 5400 for now as i have heard those things too but i will get the RAM upgrade.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/192247

That's in UK. It's 5200rpm drive so it'll be pretty cool, no heat or other issues.

9. McBob macrumors member

I'd go for the 7200 drive, I did and haven't looked back once. No problems either! I am looking forward to the possibility of 8gb RAM in a laptop. Whoop!

Interestingly Apples RAM is actually cheaper than Crucial in the UK, who from my experience over the past few years were always considerably cheaper than Apple. Plus as mentioned you could eBay your two 2Gig chips.

McBob

10. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, though i don't need a drive that big. I'm looking for 500-640gb (http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=western+digital+2.5"&x=0&y=0). Should i pay attention to the caches and other stuff like that which i really don't understand? As i have time machine of 1tb that's why i don't need much more than 500gb see. Also any idea where to look for RAM which has 2x4gb? Nice one again :)

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't know many UK vendors, but you could buy e.g. two of these. Others I've seen aren't really cheaper, around 350£

Caches don't matter so much but if you can get more, of course get it. 500GB is ~60£ while 640GB is ~80£ so up to you

12. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what i found. And seeing as i can upgrade for £275 to 8gb i'm figuring there isn't much point not ticking this box. Ultimately i would have to sell the 2x2gb for £75 plus with the hassle i'm figuring it's not worth it! So damn expensive over here these days compared to over there in the USA. It's almost the same prices in dollars as pound. Ridiculous!

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea it is, get the RAM from Apple then, save the hassle.

14. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Just remember that the 1TB 5400 rpm hard drive will be faster than the 500GB 7200 rpm drive because the 1TB has twice the density. It'll be faster and more storage at the same time.

15. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

The "always the same songs" makes it sound pretty likely that those song files are corrupt.

16. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

It happens to albums at a time. And straight from the unwrapped CD too. And it happens to quite a lot.

Can't afford the extra price tag seeing as i'm paying £1650 or so now and i only really wanted to spend £1500, in the future i might just upgrade to an SSD anyway when those prices come down!

Also i was thinking of taking AppleCare out. I can get it for £58 rather than the usual price of £299. I mean i never encountered any problems with my MacBook but still at such a decreased price for such an expensive computer is it worth it?

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is your son a higher education student? If so, when bought through HE store, he gets automatically 3-year warranty without extra cost. The AppleCare only improves the phone support from 1-year to 3-years

18. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm ordering through that store yes. Though i am that person, i'm not that old :D Seeing as it so discounted i think i will go for it and presume that it wouldn't be included otherwise why else the real cheap price! It comes up as a different item in my Basket (as http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000857/product/S2366Z/B?mco=MTQ3MDgxNTI#overview). Which after googling shows me that it is to do with the HE Apple Care thingy.