Not Waiting for Broadwell- happy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zjazz, Sep 8, 2014.

1. zjazz macrumors 6502

:cool:
    So many threads here asking to wait or to buy, all very similar, so decided to put thread about who's NOT waiting :)))

I decided to buy one right now. Good deal since their prices are $100 lower now, plus 16GB ram is standard and with education discount of $200 plus $100 gift card comes to really great deal. This high end configuration machine is amazing and everything I need, at least for several years.

Yes Haswell will have an edge to be more battery friendly due to low efficiency and might have better graphics, but I'm not a photographer and better graphics is not what I really need. Iris pro is more than what I need with 750M that it comes with. And 7-8 hours of battery life is enough for me. Besides then there will be Skylake, which will be better than Broadwell, and after that there will be ....you name it. So waiting for next best computer could be forever!!! I'd say get it now and enjoy it to the fullest!!!:apple:
    :cool:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say the current state of the technology is such that you can buy a very powerful machine right now that will last you several years. If you need a machine now you'll not be disappointed.

I think the people who are waiting are those that don't need one now - just my $.02

3. MTL18 macrumors regular

I tend to agree...

There will always be the next thing to wait for, and if the current Haswell generation isn't a huge upgrade from your current computer, then you probably don't need a new one anyways.

Edit....what ^ said

4. konradsa macrumors regular

We'll see. It's all up in the air, but Broadwell may not be as much of an upgrade as everybody is expecting. Even optimistically speaking, Broadwell may be 10% faster and at the same time only use 50% of power. But in the big picture, this may not translate to much increase in battery runtime, since Haswell is already very energy efficient, and there are bigger power consumers in the laptop, most notably the display.

On the other hand, Broadwell may also be the best thing ever. I guess we will find out eventually! :)

5. konradsa macrumors regular

But again, if Apple upgrade the Macbook Pro 13" to quad core processors with Broadwell, then I will probably have to flip mine.

6. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point!

7. helix21 macrumors regular

Jesus I hope that doesn't happen! What is limiting Apple currently from having quad core ones in 13"? I will be utterly gutted if they do that.

I'm tempted to say cost because both machines have the same internal cooling architecture, except the 15" has more space.

8. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

TDP on a quad core is higher, it'll use more power, it'll be hotter, and the space for a proper cooling system for it in a 13" will take up precious battery space (the 13" only has one fan in it, the 15" has two), something apple is not willing to compromise on.

As such, even when I was buying my 13" rMBP (back in january) there were people saying "wait for broadwell", glad I didn't. The machine is perfectly capable as is and is really great.

9. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Same and I'm very happy with it. I got the Mid-2014 15" high end base with dGPU. It's so fast and light and everything I ever wanted in a laptop. It's great!:apple:

10. konradsa, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

konradsa macrumors regular

I just bought one too and hope it won't happen. But keep in mind Broadwell has potentially much lower power consumption. So they may be able to squeeze a quad core in on the same thermal budget as a dual core now.