Not waking from sleep / missing RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrWaffles, Sep 3, 2012.

1. MrWaffles macrumors member

I recently noticed my MBP (7.1, 2.4GHz, 4gb) behaving sluggishly then it started not wanting to wake from sleep mode. I usually have no problem closing the lid and re-opening it. It started not wanting to wake up, forcing me to perform a hard reset. I then checked to see if anything was a miss, and it was saying that one of the slots was empty (2gb was missing). Resent the PRAM, everything is fine. Still having sleep problems and everytime I do a hard reset it boots with an empty slot.

I initially thought this was a Lion issue, so I restored my computer back to snow leopard and updated it back to 10.6.8. Problem is still there. Memtest says everything is fine, both with only 2gb showing and with 4gb showing. I have read a bunch of different threads all over the place and no one really has a solution.

I just want to see if anyone has been having this problem with Snow Leopard, as most seem to have it with Lion. Even found a couple people having the same sleep issue with ML. It's really driving me nuts.

2. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

It is possible that one of the Memory sticks have gone bad. I'm not saying this is the cause, just a possibility. :/

Hugh

EDIT: You might want to switch the memory sticks to see of it says the same slot is open. If it does you know there is something wrong with your MBP. If the open space movies to the other slot, then you know the memory stick has gone bad.

3. MrWaffles thread starter macrumors member

I was going to do this, but I noticed plenty of other people having the same problem. They all did what you suggested and noticed nothing wrong.

It seems to be a software issue that randomly occurs in some Macs. I just broke down and bought ML to see if that may solve the problem buy it will take a few days to see if that was the issue. I have my reservations because the same problems occurred in both Lion and Snow Leopard.

The indicator light seems to be the main thing everyone has in common. It goes from blinking to solid then is not lit once the lid is reopened. Everything seems fine, but no response from the screen / monitor.

4. MrWaffles, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

MrWaffles thread starter macrumors member

I'm just going to post a solution that seems to be working. This thread (https://discussions.apple.com/message/19062891?ac_cid=op123456#19062891?ac_cid=op123456) seems to have discovered a workaround in changing how your computer sleeps. Something seems to be messing with the hibernate setting and setting it to 25 seems to bypass the problems. It does not automatically awake from sleep upon opening the lid, but the power button brings it back without having to do a hard reset.

Edit: Still having RAM problems though; only showing 2gb, with one slot reading empty most of the time. Running 10.8.1 now.

5. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

If it's doing it in ML as well, would really recommend that you do my suggestion of moving the memory around. It does sound like you have a bad stick or bad slot.

Hugh