Not waking from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DPB17, Apr 27, 2009.

1. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Hi I've got a Unibody Macbook with 4GB's of OWC RAM and sometimes after closing the lid and opening it a short time later the laptop does not want to wake up and I have to hold the power button to turn the power off. When I boot it up after that it says Mac OS X unexpectedly quit and reports it to Apple. Any ideas?

2. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

a lot of people see this it seems, including myself. You can wake it back up by pressing and holding down the eject button in the top right of the keyboard. This works for me every time.

It's happened with both macbooks i've had (macbook air rev. a, macbook with and without crucial ram upgrade), so that leads me to believe it's a software issue.

3. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I'll be sure to try that the next time it happens. I suppose Snow Leopard will fix it, hopefully.

4. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

i called an apple tech over this and i fixed it by deleting , library/preferences/systemconfiguration/ com.apple.powermanagemant.plist .
    it worked like a charm have yet to have the sleep issue again.

5. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

this file doesn't exist for me :(

6. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

did you click on your hardrive or your home folder thing? cause it is under the drive and not the home folder one.

7. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

i actually looked in both places. just enabled hidden files as well and it's not there.

8. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just deleted the file, I hope it works. Why does the file cause the problem?

9. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just found out the root of the issue, iStat Pro. Apparently this causes the issue.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I deleted it soon after the first week, caused more problems than it was curing for me.

Except my problem with iStat was the Universal Access zoom kept getting turned on while iStat was running causing a 2-10 pixel zoom that the mouse dragged around.

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Really? That's interesting... How did you find that out?
    And do you have the latest version?

12. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

I had the latest version. I am not too sure why the problem is caused by iStat Pro but a friend sent me a link to mac-talk.com (I think that's what it's called) and people were saying to delete it, so I did and I have yet to have the issue again. Apparently if you waited 5-10 minutes the MacBook may have booted back up if you were lucky, but I had waited from between 25-45 minutes and it never booted up and I had to hold the power to button to restart. I have yet to get the same issue again.

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Well, great find then! :D

14. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

VSMacOne I noticed you have the same set-up as me and I was wondering who you bought your RAM off?

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I got mine from OWC. Installed it yesterday and haven't seen any issues yet.

16. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I got mine off them too, good to hear you've got no problems.

17. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it happened again today. Does anybody know if secure virtual memory being turned on would have any influence on this issue? It's currently turned on in my system preferences.

18. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

Well, 10.5.7 has made the issue much worst. Everytime I put the computer to sleep now, it won't wake up forcing me to do a hard reboot. I think I am going to call Apple today, this is getting beyond ridiculous.

19. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Send the OWC ram back and get Crucial's, works like a charm on the unibody macbook 2.4ghz! Even with 10.5.7!

20. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I did and I have no problems at all with my new Crucial RAM.:D:D:D:D:apple::apple::D:D:D:D

21. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

I have Crucial RAM ordered from newegg...still having the same issues.

22. sjsutton macrumors member

Odd Timing...

I too have begun to experience the "not-waking-up" problem. My 13" Aluminum MB has slept and woken up without fail since I purchased it last October. Then, this week it began to not wake-up. The screen would stay black, yet the key backlight would work and the CD drive would make the normal "grind" noise.

2 things happened to my MacBook and I'm not sure which is responsible:

- Doubled the RAM to 4Gig with OWCs 2GIG x 2 upgrade
    - Performed the software update to 10.5.7

So now I'm unsure which of these things did it. I've deleted the power pref file, fixed permissions, and turned off bluetooth, without resolving the issue. I did have iStat pro (latest) version installed and I just removed it. I suspect this wasn't the issue, and I'm thinking the not waking up issue will happen again. I was planning on sending in my old RAM to OWC for the rebate, but now I'm wondering if I should reinstall it to rule out the RAM upgrade. I'll post my findings.

23. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do a PRAM and SMC reset to see if either of those are your problem.

24. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

So I ordered a new pair of Crucial memory, and so far so good. Have only had the pair installed for a day, but have woken the Macbook up from sleep a few times. Hope this fixed the problem *fingers crossed*

25. sjsutton macrumors member

Its The Ram

I removed the 2x2GIG OWC RAM from my macbook and returned the original 2 GIG (2x1) and the unit has flawlessly woken up from sleeping for nearly a week now. I'm going now try to swap one chip for now and see how it goes with 3GIG.