Not wanting to you iCloud photo library but wanting the backups

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by whoiare, Dec 16, 2015.

1. whoiare macrumors regular

So im no idiot when it comes to apple/mac software but i still seem to not be able to get a clear answer to this question. First, some knowns:

i have an always on mac mini that im personally logged into(my itunes acct). My wife and I both have our own icloud storage/itunes accts we both take pictures on our iphones/ipad...and i know that both of our local photos/videos are being stored on icloud photo library. On my mac however, i did NOT check use iCloud photo library because i dont want EVERY SINGLE picture i take to show up on my mac. However...my question:

We both use the shared library feature to take pics of our kids. This is really the only area where i CARE about keeping the pictures. i know all the pics are being stored locally on our phones and in our personal icloud as well and the pictures will show up fine in iphoto on my mac, but as of right now i feel the only way to back up these shared library photos in one space is to monthly come in and import every photo.

is this correct?

2. mrnorwegian macrumors member

Use iCloud backup on your originals. Shared photos are limited to 2048 px on the long edge so you should back up your original files. Use airdrop on your wifes phone to transfer originals to yours.