Not web programming...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by carleton, Dec 5, 2011.

1. carleton macrumors member

I saw in the description this is not a forum for web programming, so I am wondering if anyone could point me to a forum where I could get an answer to the following questions:

If you were to start development on a new Intranet client/server application which will use a web server as the server. (Intranet in the sense the average everyday folks will be doing the install, not IT folks) And you want this to run on both Windows and OSX, what langauges/frameworks would you use and why?

2. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

Rather vague without details. Your solution could be as simple as a customized Sharepoint Installation or as complicated as a 100% custom project.

You might want to ask in the Web Dev subform:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

That said, if it was me I'd use ASP.net and the MS stack. It's well known, reasonably supported by the vendor, and plays nicely with various technologies.

Some things I don't know well but like the look of/have some interest in are Ruby on Rails and Python via Zope. Both are open and reasonably well known and I like what others have done with them. If you want a fancy UI there's Kendo UI which is an HTML5 based Web 9.0 Gold Edition style UI kit.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, Silverlight is often times used in Line of Business/Intranet type apps. It gives you a richer desktop experience and works on Macs, PC, and with some caveats, Linux. You can use a web service (of any kind but usually people on the MS stack use ASP) to handle a centralized data model if necessary. Otherwise if your app doesn't need to talk to anyone else you can just build it and host it on a web server and everyone with the plugin will be hunky dory. Flash/Shockwave/AIR will also work for this I guess but I don't know much about that stack.

3. carleton thread starter macrumors member

You brought out a good point, I am looking for an alternative to ASP.Net. ASP.Net is an option, it is the leading contender, if I opt NOT to make this cross platform. When I say cross platform, I am referring to the server, not the clients.

So if I understand you correctly, you don't know but would look into Ruby on Rails and Python via Zope. Is my impression correct that they are just backend, not so much UI stuff, which I assume explains why you suggested Kendo UI.

4. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

Right, usually something else goes on the front end but I believe they do come with some basic UI controls and whatnot just like ASP.net. Kendo UI is just pretty and is one example. It's designed to be used with a Javascript backend but I'm sure there's no reason why it wouldn't work with either solution.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Maybe our Web Design/Development sub forum would be preferable?

B

6. v2kea412 macrumors member

I personally would use WAMP on a windows box, or MAMP on the Mac....and use PHP.... Less learning curve than .net, and gives you plenty of flexibility. Just my 2 cents...