not worth it, IMO..paying someone ...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HBOC, Sep 28, 2009.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

Ok, so i know there is a very fine line on this subject, everyone has been given and giving different answers on this. It is about replacing the Hard Drive in a laptop.

Ok, so the genius at the Apple Store in downtown Portland tell me about this authorized reseller/repair place around here, that will (and won't void the warranty) replace my HD. They speak highly of this place..

So, I email them, asking how much they will charge to install the hard drive (mind you, this is ONTOP of the price of the HD).

They tell me $90! Plus, they said that if there is a problem with the computer, I would need to PAY again, to install the original HD, due to it not being OEM.

My question is, following the iFix it guide, (and no security seals or special tools needed, I have security Torx and regular Torx screwdrivers) there is no point in paying, other than they fix what they break, rather than myself.? I mean if I pay $90 x 3 = applecare. I pay $90 to install, $90 to take out (when a problem arises), and then another $90 when i get the computer back..

I thought it would be like $40 to have someone put this in...

here is the email..

Should I do it myself? I fixed my Xbox 360 that red ringed (after 9 months, it gave out..got E74 lol), so I am quite confident. I would've gotten the 320GB 7200RPM drive, but i got my Mac from the clearance store online when the new UMBPs' came out.

Attached Files:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What model of laptop do you have? That would be rather useful to know.

3. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

the one in my sig:) early 08' MBP, 2.5GHZ 4GB ram

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I replaced the HDD on my early 2008 black macbook and based on the instructions on iFixit, it doesn't look any more complicated than what I had to do so I would definitely save a few bucks and do it yourself. I am no tech expert and I had my HDD and RAM upgraded in about 20 minutes without any issue.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Macbooks are MUCH simpler to upgrade than are Macbook Pros, as the OP has.

6. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

The RAM, for me, was simple.

I have heard that people say it is pretty straight forward, but to be patient and take your time when opening up the computer. I am confident that i can do this, no probs. I won't be doing this for a while, as i forgot i need to buy AC on my Mac before 10/21. :)

7. drjuice macrumors member

If they are an Apple-authorized repair center, they should be getting their parts from Apple, so I'm not sure why they'd be installing a 3rd party HDD. What would they charge for the drive itself? Could you buy a drive from a place like newegg.com and have them install it? Could they install a bigger drive?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm not sure I'd pay for a hard drive upgrade on any machine, even my air.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, its not as much of a technical task as it is an exercise in patience and keeping track of where the screws go.

If you understand and feel comfortable with the iFixit instructions, go for it! :)

10. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

See, that is the problem!! I expected to pay an authorized place like $40, bring in a HD, and have the piece of mind that i still have a warranty. So essentially, i am paying $120 (or whatever the HD i want is going to cost) + $90 for installation. If, for some reason I need to send my Mac to Apple, it will be another $90 to swap drives back to stock. When I get the Mac back, I am back to square one, having spent $180 to keep swapping drives. It is something i can do myself!

If there was a security sticker, or warranty stickers that Apple provides to authorized repair stores, than I would pay (i'd have no option). Since there is no security tabs or stickers, I will just be super careful (taking pictures along the way to see what went where, just incase) and save my self inevitably a lot of cash (unless i eff up, of course)

11. mapsk macrumors newbie

Same to be honest, not worth it imo