Not worth the upgrade

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Oct 23, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Surely the 4th gen model is not worth the upgrade from iPad 2 or 3?

2. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

That is subjective to the person. If you want the latest and greatest then yes, if the 2 or the 3 is still doing everything for you then maybe not.

3. 314631, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012

314631 macrumors 6502a

Blazing fast performance with the incredible A6 processors makes the upgrade a no-brainer for any true Apple fan.

4. UmbraDiaboli macrumors regular

The design of the iPad mini is completely different to that of the iPad, and it resembles the iPhone 5 - So the 4th Gen iPad seems more like an iPad 3S TBH.

5. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

But where will we be able to get back most of our money for our ipad 3? I would like sell my ipad 3 32gb verizon, but I probably won't get much back on it.

6. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

The A5X was always a stopgap upgrade because they felt they had to get an iPad out in March and couldn't wait until now for the newer CPU/GPU and LTE parts to become available.

Performance on the iPad 3 was worse than the iPad 2, it will definitely be a good upgrade, actually having hardware capable of driving the Retina Display properly.

I think it absolutely sucks that Apple are doing this though.

They should have either delayed the iPad 3 launch until now, or held back until March for a real iPad 4 revision, rather than what is really an "iPad 3S" revision.

What's worse, is who knows what Apple are going to do in March next year now? Is October now when they update both iPads, or do we get an iPad 5 in March, with an iPad mini 2 in October?

7. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

How is performance worse on the ipad3? I have had no problems whatsoever. Admittedly, I don't play a lot of games though.

8. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Its not worth it to me either. I dont play alot of games so the A6X chip isnt a big appeal to me. I also dont use the front camera so I dont care about that either. I dont know what some of you are talking about the 3 being worse than the 2. My iPad 3 still flies with no hesitation. Sad to say, but this will be the first iDevice I wont be preordering to have on day 1 :(

9. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I find it interesting that I never heard about performance issues with the iPad3 and now people are saying they are desparate for the new processor. If it worked great yesterday why won't it work great tomorrow.

Apple execs must love this stuff.

10. jojoba macrumors 68000

For me, this.

For my usage pattern, the 3gen has sufficient power - I'm very happy with my iPad '3' so I'll be holding on to it at least until next round.

11. mtj111 macrumors member

There have been endless articles and posts from day one about how the performance is no better than iPad 2 and in some cases worse.

12. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

A lot of animations throughout the OS stutter which didn't on the iPad 2, and trying to read PDFs on the iPad 3 is painful, having to wait as much as 5-10s for pages to render, when pages rendered as quickly as you could turn the pages on the iPad 2.

13. transam7816 macrumors regular

iPad 3rd gen to iPad 4th gen is like iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s.

14. RenoG macrumors 65816

Yes they do,
    these folks aren't just apple fanbois, these are apple zealots, they are only satisfied when nothing new is available.

15. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

My iPad 3 runs a lot better than my old iPad 2 did. So I have no idea what people are talking about.

16. tann macrumors 68000

Would personally tell you all to wait until the inevitable redesign next fall now.

This is just to both move releases to the fall (I think) as well as provide an iPad with an equally powered processor as the iPhone.

Otherwise people will be all like, "wait, iPhone has that new A6 thingymabob and this iPad only has an A5X!?

That must mean this iPad is old!!"

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The processor alone is worth the upgrade, but I'm betting its an expensive proposition now. The iPad 3 will not go on the resale market for as much as it did prior to today and its been discontinued entirely. This is the shortest lived iPad model in history and may be seen by some as a mistake.

18. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

if you have ever tried to play Metal Storm on the iPad 3 (after using an iPad 2) you would notice a huge difference.

the A5X struggles to just power the retina screen...and it doesn't leave much else left over to actually do other processing. it's constantly hiccuping compared to the iPad 2.

i bought an iPad 3, 32GB, LTE-Verizon on October 2. i am outside of my return period now so nothing can be done. i am seriously thinking of flipping it on craigslist because the A5X is really getting on my nerves. i am not going to complain and call Apple names, or say it's not fair or other things like that...i made the decision to buy thinking that all that would be released would be an iPad Mini (which i have no interest in purchasing). if i had known, i would have waited...upgrading to the A6X is worth the upgrade if that was the only thing upgraded.

decisions decisions

19. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

have you ever played Metal Storm? what about other graphics intensive games? ever loaded a website packed full of intensive graphics? the iPad 2 blew through all of those things without a problem. of the 2 iPad 3's it took for me to get one without a defective screen, all of them hiccup quite frequently doing the above. Metal Storm plays like garbage on the iPad 3

it's not a subjective opinion, it's a fact that has been proven in real world tests all over the internet and in analysis of the hardware. the A5X in the iPad has better graphics just for powering the retina. everything else remains the same, the problem is that it wasn't fully enough to maintain the same fluidity as the iPad 2. it's close, but not the same

20. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes the iPad 4 is the iPad 3 just they forgot to add these features.