not yellow or blue...RED tinted iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hushypushy, Mar 24, 2012.

1. hushypushy macrumors member

hushypushy

I bought my iPad on launch day; I walked into 1 Stockton Street some time in the afternoon and picked up a shiny new black 16GB wifi new iPad. (I still have no idea why people waited in line overnight...I didn't even have to wait in line to play with a demo unit)

Anyway, the iPad works great (except for all those known Safari bugs so far). However, I am a "serious hobbyist" photographer or whatever you want to call it, so accurate color balance is fairly important to me. I had been hearing about yellow screens, so one of the first things I did was compare the iPad versus my NEC IPS LCD for editing; immediately, I noticed a rosy, red tint across the whole screen.

Okay, now here's why I made the thread: the rosy red screen did not bother me until yesterday due to the subtlety. If you put the two screens side by side, the difference is very obvious; however, if that was the only monitor you ever looked at in your entire life, you'd say it's fine. Plus, I read the yellow-tint threads and mine is way more pleasant to look at.

Here's the issue: my good friend showed up last night with his new iPad (also a black wifi 16GB). Well, his screen looks brilliant!! The whites have no hint of blue, yellow, or red, they are just WHITE! Everything else on our screens seems identical (brightness, sharpeness, contrast). I was kind of shocked at how much nicer his looked---as soon as I started using it I noticed his screen was different.

I don't do any photo-editing or anything like that on the iPad; so technically I don't NEED perfectly accurate colors. But then again, I never really NEEDED an iPad in the first place, so if I do have one, I want it to be just right!

So MacRumors...help me get off the fence. Do I keep my already beloved, working fine, many apps installed, slightly red-tinted iPad? Or should I only accept the best and return it for a better one? Of course this time, I'd open it up in the store...

2. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

There are brilliant, perfect screens out there as you found out last night. I returned my yellow, gray, red splotchy screened iPad. I simply can't spend that amount of money for an inferior product. It's all about what YOU can live with however.