Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dc5wannabe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Here's the low down. Out of the box my iphone was a 1.1.2, then using i-tunes I upgraded to 1.1.3. Last week, I recently jailbroken my iphone and downgraded to 1.1.1 and used the tutorials to upgrade it to 1.1.3. Currently I have a jailbroken 1.1.3. The issue I am having is that I cannot install the NES ROMs into the NES application. I have searched forums after forums and watch various youtube videos, but I cannot seem to get this issue resolve. Using Windows XP and WINscp, I was able to transfer the nes files to the correct directories. var/root/media/ROMs/NES. I do not have any connection issues with WINscp. The problem I am having is that after i copy the file over to the iphone, the nes app is not reading the nes roms. The nes apps says "no nes roms found". I have double check if i place the roms in the right folder and I have already installed my phone with BSD Subsystem version 2.1 and OpenSSH version 4.6p1-1. Is there another application I am missing for the nes app to read the nes roms? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

ajl917

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Try /var/mobile/media/ROMs/NES. Remember, with 1.1.3, you will be working out of /var/mobile/ while with older versions you had /var/root/

dc5wannabe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I can try that, even though when I go to nes app it says specifically there are "no nes roms. Upload nes roms to var/root/media/ROMs/NES?" I also read somewhere that mobilefinder needed to be installed along with BSP Subsystem and OpenSSH. Is this correct?

ajl917

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
I can try that, even though when I go to nes app it says specifically there are "no nes roms. Upload nes roms to var/root/media/ROMs/NES?" I also read somewhere that mobilefinder needed to be installed along with BSP Subsystem and OpenSSH. Is this correct?

Well BSD and OpenSSH should be installed anyway, but also, you probably need to use the 1.1.3 version. So go here, http://www.zdziarski.com/projects/nesapp/ and you will probably need to manually install the latest version...

ajl917

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Here is a tutorial I wrote in general to install apps.

Well because you have 1.1.1/1.1.2, you will have to download the app from its respective page. Next, you will need to use your filebrowsing system up and running, WinSCP for Windows or CyberDuck for Mac. Remember you need to have BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH insatlled.
To set up WinSCP: http://modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/SSH_on_Windows
To set up CyberDuck (Steps 4-6): http://www.iphonealley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743

Next, go to your applications folder, you should see all the apps you have installed including SMS, Stocks etc. Then, make a folder called AppName.app. After you make the folder, put every file you downloaded into there, then highlight them all, then make the properties or permissions 0755. After you are done with that, reboot your phone and you should be good to go. If you have any more problems/questions, feel free to ask.

-Andrew

kashmoney2006

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2007
Here is a tutorial I wrote in general to install apps.

Well because you have 1.1.1/1.1.2, you will have to download the app from its respective page. Next, you will need to use your filebrowsing system up and running, WinSCP for Windows or CyberDuck for Mac. Remember you need to have BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH insatlled.
To set up WinSCP: http://modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/SSH_on_Windows
To set up CyberDuck (Steps 4-6): http://www.iphonealley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743

Next, go to your applications folder, you should see all the apps you have installed including SMS, Stocks etc. Then, make a folder called AppName.app. After you make the folder, put every file you downloaded into there, then highlight them all, then make the properties or permissions 0755. After you are done with that, reboot your phone and you should be good to go. If you have any more problems/questions, feel free to ask.

-Andrew

all i did was move the NES.app to the applications folder and rebooted and it works. what does changing the permissions do? is it necessary? would it have anything to do with me not being able to save?

ajl917

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
all i did was move the NES.app to the applications folder and rebooted and it works. what does changing the permissions do? is it necessary? would it have anything to do with me not being able to save?

Changing the permissions allows the files to run. It shouldnt be that hard, but it could be the reason you cant save right...

kashmoney2006

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2007
i highlighted the files in Fugu and clicked on info. under permissions it shows the read and write and execute permissions but under that it has "Octal Mode Representation" im assuming that is what i change to 0755. currently its at 0644.

dc5wannabe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Well BSD and OpenSSH should be installed anyway, but also, you probably need to use the 1.1.3 version. So go here, http://www.zdziarski.com/projects/nesapp/ and you will probably need to manually install the latest version...

So bascially, I would have to unstall my current nes app version 2.0.1 and install the nes app 2.0.5. Using WINscp to transfer the files over to the iphone. Then and make a folder in the application folder with the new files...

ajl917

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
So bascially, I would have to unstall my current nes app version 2.0.1 and install the nes app 2.0.5. Using WINscp to transfer the files over to the iphone. Then and make a folder in the application folder with the new files...

Just overwrite the 2.0.1 files with the 2.0.5 files and set permissions...

kashmoney2006

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2007
Yep, change it from that to 0755

well i changed them all to 0755 and that doesnt seem to have changed anything. it still doesnt save the snapshots of the game like it says it should. and it played fine before changing the permissions. do you think it it saving to a wrong directory? and thats why it doesnt show up in the app?

dc5wannabe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I replaced the nes folder in applications with nes 2.0.5 and and move the roms to mobile/ROMs/NES and changed the permissions to 755 and now when I lauch nes app I get a blank white screen....

lauruskamj

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
I am a novice at best so please be gentile. I recently unlocked my iphone and want to play nes games on it. how do I upload roms and get them on my phone. I am currently using version 1.1.4.

The Doctor

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Chestnut Ridge, NY
this is sort of off topic, but how do you control the games... im assuming its some sort of onscreen controller... does anyone have a picture... i sort of want to jailbreak my phone to do this, but i would like to see it first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.