Not your usual battery problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by airpatrick, Aug 15, 2009.

1. airpatrick macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I have a battery problem that I just can't solve. I can't find anyone else with a similar problem either, so I have turned to you experts! I appreciate your help in advance!

I have an original white macbook, and the battery charges-sort of. Right now it is plugged in, the light is green, but it is at 83% and won't charge higher. If I unplug it the 83% will last about 5 minutes and deplete. It will charge back up anywhere between 70-90% (but won't go higher). It always depletes very quickly even if it is idle.

This is my information (I am running battery update 1.3)

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 2298
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 1897
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12241
    Cycle Count: 283

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Doesn't sound very unusual.

Sounds like a dead battery, time for a new one.

3. core2duo macrumors member

Your full charge capacity is pretty low, and you're right around the 300 charge cycle mark, which is where batteries usually go. I'd say what's happening is you have some dead cells in the battery, and when it comes time for them to run the machine, they can't and it shuts off.

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000

That battery sounds messed up. Batteries don't "go" at 300 recharge cycles they just lose capacity. According to Apple:

The battery should last more then 5 minutes with 283 Cycles. Time to visit Apple I say.