Notch Seems Overblown

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafterman, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Rafterman macrumors 68020

After a few hours of use, I have to say, the notch issues have not really developed. It seems that in addition to prep-X apps, which simply keep inside the rectangle below the notch, even many apps designed for the X updated today-ish simply ignore the notch and keep the info in the rectangle below the notch as well. Apps look fine to me.

I suspect only a badly designed app that tries to integrate the notch too much or too poorly will be the only issues.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I’m sure I’ll be glad when iPhone XII or XIV gets rid of the notch but it isn’t bad. Just think of it as extra space for the time and LTE strength meter.

3. jetlagged macrumors 6502

4. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

I agree. But in photos the notch looks hideous.

5. Trojita macrumors member

6. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I don’t even notice the notch when I’m using the phone. I think part of it is because of how long the screen is. And when I do notice it, it’s a great reference point for pulling down the control center.

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Yes the notch looks utterly atrocious in photos but I will admit in practical usage it doesn’t really impact the experience like I expected it would.

I don’t even notice it most of the time.

8. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

So if you play a game in landscape mode, you don’t see the notch?

9. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Barely notice it using the phone which surprised me.

10. Astrotrain macrumors newbie

Astrotrain

The notch is a non-issue for me. I forgot it was even there within a minute of using my X.
    One of the reviewers mentioned something I agree with-- that the presence of the notch evokes a sci-fi display/screen feel. It 's not unlike the sheets of paper in the Battlestar Galactica reboot with the corners cut off at 45 degree angles.

11. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

And where do you plan to put the hardware bits that crammed into that notch?

12. acorntoy macrumors 65816

I say they just make the whole top a slim bezel. That thing is hideous.

13. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

iPhone SEX, catchy name !

14. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Which will reduce the total usable screen size because you need to put the status bar at the top of the screen at all times. I think by making the notch Apple is actually providing as much screen as possible & also making use of it in an efficient way tucking status icons up in the corners.

Not saying it doesn’t look awkward but I feel like it’s a practical solution.

15. es enohpi macrumors newbie

es enohpi

16. acorntoy, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

acorntoy macrumors 65816

Eh I don’t need a perfect (or even want) 5.5’ sized phone.use the extra space for a bigger battery. The 8+ Form factor with the improved logic board and battery would be -amazing- and I am looking forward to that.

After years of owning these phones, I can’t really think of a time where the size of the phone was the issue. Not the best point to tackle in my opinion. The battery life of the X could’ve been 2+ days easy if they had stuck the technology with the old bezels. And (dead horse I know) but they could’ve implemented some serious security with a Touch ID + Face ID combo. This phone brings some serious setbacks to achieve its goal, I’m not saying people shouldn’t like it, but people also shouldn’t be surprised that it really doesn’t work for some.

17. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

If there was a vote for or against the notch I’d vote in favour of it.

18. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

barely noticed it to be honest. One time I think I would is when when videos in full screen mode

19. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

Hasn't bothered me at all. I barely notice it.

20. Rafterman thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't have a game that's widescreen and adapted for the X yet. But those not adapted to X work like other apps - they end below the notch.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

I’ll be glad too but it’s better than another huge phone like the Plus for me.
    Technology usually gets smaller over time. They may be able to cram some of the sensors into what’s left of the bezel.

22. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

We’re talking about a future possibility there. Although not much of a bezel left on the iPhone anymore. I wondered what that other contributor would have done instead, given where we stand today.

23. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I agree that it is not very photogenic. However, for me at least, it is a non issue in person/practice and I even...uh...kinda like it.

24. KPOM macrumors G5

Hence I said iPhone 13 or 14.

25. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I actually think that would look worse. There were some mockups that showed that. As it is, I like that the clock and such are tucked up in corners and the notch acts as a divider for swipe gestures.