Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
My Note 4 worked without any problems till I updated it to Marshmallow. Now I get the following problems:

1. Error message when I try to install an apk 'Paket may be corrupt'
2. Random freezes
3. Reboots

I have tried a lot of things, custom Roms (aosp like Lineage 14), davlik/data wipe, installed the Original MM update from my carrier but nothing seems to Work.

Needless to say I am annoyed because I need my Phone to work flawlessy.

Phone:
Note 4: SD 805
Version: MMB29M.N910FXXS1DQC6

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I would just use ODIN to flash a pre-marshmallow stock ROM to get back to square one and have a reliable, albeit older software version.

Not trying to sway you, but if you need a reliable phone asap, there are affordable devices with better experiences than an older Samsung Galaxy device.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I would just use ODIN to flash a pre-marshmallow stock ROM to get back to square one and have a reliable, albeit older software version.

Not trying to sway you, but if you need a reliable phone asap, there are affordable devices with better experiences than an older Samsung Galaxy device.
ok thank you I will try that and update the thread later ;)

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Use Samsung Smart Switch tool to recover to latest official stock ROM. As a back up use ODIN and repartition with .pit file for your specific phone model and carrier. Then, perform a factory reset. If that doesn't resolve the issue make sure your phone isn't rooted and KNOX hasn't tripped since that voids warranty/support then contact Samsung repair and explain that the issues started after the OTA update. Hopefully, they'll fix it for free or charge a reasonable amount. Refer to XDA forum for further info.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
thank you guys for all the great help I've used Odin, flashed latest Kitkat and then restored an older backup with Twrp. Will reinstall some apps with Tbp

I'd highly recommend this for everyone with the same problem thanks so much.

Reactions: nviz22 and Klyster

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
thank you guys for all the great help I've used Odin, flashed latest Kitkat and then restored an older backup with Twrp. Will reinstall some apps with Tbp

I'd highly recommend this for everyone with the same problem thanks so much.

No problem. Get ready to see a completely older UI though.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
No problem. Get ready to see a completely older UI though.

Thank you yeah it's older but so much better than MM. Only problem is simple:

now it doesn't recognize my sim card. Phone id trying hard to piss me of lol

Reactions: nviz22

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Thank you yeah it's older but so much better than MM. Only problem is simple:

now it doesn't recognize my sim card. Phone id trying hard to piss me of lol

Try removing the SD card to see if SIM card starts working. If so, it sounds it like the symptoms discussed on XDA forum. Supposedly a recent firmware update fixes that hence the suggestion to update with Samsung Smart Switch tool since it automatically pulls down the latest version otherwise a Samsung repair center visit is probably needed.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
This might be a long shot, but you can try installing Samsung's old software KIES, and do an emergency recovery from it. Back then, doing that fixed damn near any issue.

I know it doesn't work with the S4 anymore, but I did it with the Note 4 a year and a half ago.

Reactions: nviz22

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
thank you all for the suggestions will do that after work and let you know how it went afternoon

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I've been finally able to fix all the problems for heavens sake that was scary!

Here's how to do it step by step. I'm not responsible for any problems or bricks but it worked for me so:

1. Connect your USB cabel to one of the mainboards
don't use hubs (including front slots)
because even if Odin passes the file successfully the update process can fail, indicated by an lying android robot with a red warning sign

2. Go to sammobile.com and download the right stockversion for your device. Either pay for a month to get fast downloads (worth it) or not and you have to wait a bit because the dl speed is extremely reduced

3. Connect phone in Download mode by pressing: volume down + start + home button

4. Open Odin:
Untick Auto-Reboot
Select AP - extract md5 from zip file - AP add the .md5 file and wait

5. Flash TWRP
pull out your battery - press the start button for roughly 70seconds - put it back in and under AP select the TWRP file

6. Wipe Davlik/ART and Cache

7. Optional: Create a backup (highly recommended)

8. Optional: install super su

I know it's a lot of steps but well worth it in order to have a reliable phone again, thanks for all the help guys maybe it will be helpful for others too.

Reactions: nviz22 and Tsepz

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Excellent! Glad you managed to fix it.

Enjoy your Note 4, still such a great device! :D

Thank you but my happiness has come to an end. Monday the device took a few min to reboot and then after trying to do another reboot nothing...turns out my mainboard is done, repair bill estimated to be around 200 - 300 bucks.

Problems is, there is no phone available that comes close to the Note 4 (removable battery, screensize, s pen) now I'm facing a tough situation either buy an okayish phone till the Note 8 comes or pay the repair bill which obviously means I could have to do the same in 2 years again pisses me of. I've looked through the internet and it seems to be a common problem after warranty ends

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Thank you but my happiness has come to an end. Monday the device took a few min to reboot and then after trying to do another reboot nothing...turns out my mainboard is done, repair bill estimated to be around 200 - 300 bucks.

Problems is, there is no phone available that comes close to the Note 4 (removable battery, screensize, s pen) now I'm facing a tough situation either buy an okayish phone till the Note 8 comes or pay the repair bill which obviously means I could have to do the same in 2 years again pisses me of. I've looked through the internet and it seems to be a common problem after warranty ends
Mine still works perfectly after 2.5 years. I mostly use mine as a remote for my TV these days. I also have a Note Edge which was released just a few months after the Note 4, thats till works. I don't use it much anymore though.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

It seems all Note 4s are destined to die of a eMMC failure. I got mine a few days before it's International launch as one of the lucky customers in my country, it's been used hard since, got a S7 Edge last year and borrowed the Note 4 to a friend late last year when he lost his business phone months before upgrade, he used it for running his business, and then he gave it back when he got his new phone, I then borrowed it to my mother after she dropped her S7 Edge and cracked it's Display, now she got her S7 Edge back I decided to reset the Note 4 to setup as my 2nd phone, but when my Mom had it she said it kept rebooting and going to a screen with the green Android bot, and now as I reset it did the same and complains of not being able to read the eMMC, seems the ol' girl is about to kick the bucket due to the eMMC issue. What a shame, it's a great phone.

Here's the screen it shows every now and then but eventually boots up after a Battery pull
25159b91b57bc86032bd24dd5bfaa58d.jpg

Mine still works perfectly after 2.5 years. I mostly use mine as a remote for my TV these days. I also have a Note Edge which was released just a few months after the Note 4, thats till works. I don't use it much anymore though.

It will eventually happen to yours be it tomorrow or in 2years time, either way it will be long after it was new. This seems to be part of planned obsolescence as it seems this error comes in well after 24months of usage for most.

The way all these smartphones can heat up these days due to their high power chips, I'm not surprised some of the silicon starts to five in within 2-3years.

I'd actually be interested in a study that looks at how much shorter the life span of these devices becomes with each time they make the silicon smaller and more powerful at the same time. Makes wonder about the current crop of 14nm and 10nm devices.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Seems my Note 4 is now officially dead, now when I return it on it goes straight to the above screen in my previous posts screenshot.

RIP to my Note 4, lol.

It either goes to the above screen or just sits like this (see below). Yep, eMMC issue right here. She's gone.
fb83dee600af488f9cb75c79660ed788.jpg

Last edited:

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Seems my Note 4 is now officially dead, now when I return it on it goes straight to the above screen in my previous posts screenshot.

RIP to my Note 4, lol.

It either goes to the above screen or just sits like this (see below). Yep, eMMC issue right here. She's gone.
fb83dee600af488f9cb75c79660ed788.jpg

:( that's exactly how it started for me, anyways here are some things you can still try (I'm not responsible for further damages):

Start the phone in Download mode (press volume down + home button + start button) and the same tim,e try to reset the phone to Kitkat (get it from sammobile.com) and backup your stuff as soon as possible either with TWRP or with your google account.

With that being said, I'm still pissed beyond believe I loved the phone even if it wasn't cutting edge anymore for me it was perfect and it still outperforms some 2017 phones. This experience has me really questioning the decision if I should go for the Note 8 or just save at least 400 bucks and go for the One Plus 4. I'm willing to pay a premium for a premium phone but I'm not going to accept planned obsolescene BS like that :(

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
:( that's exactly how it started for me, anyways here are some things you can still try (I'm not responsible for further damages):

Start the phone in Download mode (press volume down + home button + start button) and the same tim,e try to reset the phone to Kitkat (get it from sammobile.com) and backup your stuff as soon as possible either with TWRP or with your google account.

With that being said, I'm still pissed beyond believe I loved the phone even if it wasn't cutting edge anymore for me it was perfect and it still outperforms some 2017 phones. This experience has me really questioning the decision if I should go for the Note 8 or just save at least 400 bucks and go for the One Plus 4. I'm willing to pay a premium for a premium phone but I'm not going to accept planned obsolescene BS like that :(
Thanks man, I will not be trying to revive it, I have an S7 Edge as my man phone since last year that serves me a lot better than the Note 4 did as much as I loved it.

We shouldn't see a similar situation with post-Note 4 Samsungs, seeing as they use the newer and more reliable and more efficient UFS2.0 NAND and not the older eMMC5.1 found in the Note 4.

Clearly there was an issue with the hardware the Note 4 came with as I still have a Galaxy S2, S4 and S6 that are still running just fine.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks man, I will not be trying to revive it, I have an S7 Edge as my man phone since last year that serves me a lot better than the Note 4 did as much as I loved it.

We shouldn't see a similar situation with post-Note 4 Samsungs, seeing as they use the newer and more reliable and more efficient UFS2.0 NAND and not the older eMMC5.1 found in the Note 4.

Clearly there was an issue with the hardware the Note 4 came with as I still have a Galaxy S2, S4 and S6 that are still running just fine.

Thanks you for that info but I think after this experience and Samsung constantly trying to remove consumer options it might finally be time to jump to One Plus or Huawei.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Thanks you for that info but I think after this experience and Samsung constantly trying to remove consumer options it might finally be time to jump to One Plus or Huawei.
Fair enough, rather do what you feel is best for you. Samsung may have just got way too big for themselves and losing customers may wake them up.

It's shocking that the Note 4 has this issue as otherwise it ran without missing a beat, it was such a good phone.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Fair enough, rather do what you feel is best for you. Samsung may have just got way too big for themselves and losing customers may wake them up.

It's shocking that the Note 4 has this issue as otherwise it ran without missing a beat, it was such a good phone.

Yeah and in terms of total package, nothing comes close there is no other phone that has such a great screen, s pen and a removable battery but that's all for nothing if the emmc is designed to fail.

Yeah I think Samsung has gotten too big and arrogant in some ways (see the Bixby button...). I will ask for some form of accomodation in terms of repair bill if that doesn't happen, I'll just buy the p9 and try that for a few months. Not exactly how I was planning things but sadly the time of reliable tank phones like the Nokia seems to be over.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Yeah and in terms of total package, nothing comes close there is no other phone that has such a great screen, s pen and a removable battery but that's all for nothing if the emmc is designed to fail.

Yeah I think Samsung has gotten too big and arrogant in some ways (see the Bixby button...). I will ask for some form of accomodation in terms of repair bill if that doesn't happen, I'll just buy the p9 and try that for a few months. Not exactly how I was planning things but sadly the time of reliable tank phones like the Nokia seems to be over.
If you can get a Huawei Mate 8, then get that, it's one of the closest phones to a Note 4, also LG V20 and Huawei P10 Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.