Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Those who have a edge or tried it..how you compare it to the note 4? Worth the money? Interested if there's any difference feature wise

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Those who have a edge or tried it..how you compare it to the note 4? Worth the money? Interested if there's any difference feature wise

As I mentioned previously I have used one and whilst I was initially impressed (novelty factor) after around 15 - 20 minutes of using it, it became evident that its use/fuctionality is very limited.

Likewise for me as a left handed user, flipping the phone upside down so home button was at the top felt utterly stupid. Yes you can add a pop up menu to add on screen home button - but its very clumsily implemented.

Likewise the build of the two, the standard Note 4 feels in my honest opinion more premium in the hand despite not having a curve.

Honestly I found the edge to be nothing more than a gimmick and something that doesn't offer any better experience than just using something on a standard screen that's flat.

Indeed for me even on the desktop sticking your folders / app icons onto the curve instead of your main home screen actually looked aesthetically messy to me. I know thats my OCD design ethos kicking in, but yeah I didn't like it.

The alarm clock for the edge seems like a good idea, but there are plenty of apps that make any flat phone have a nice nighttime alarm clock like 'timely' and it's better looking in practice.

Camera controls on the edge felt wrong and its still easier to opt to use a volume button as a shutter button that reach to the top curved edge to press it.

It feels to me with everything it attempts to try and justify itself with - it only proves that there was nothing broken with the way we already had things. It doesn't find any practical or 'advantage' to justify itself imho at all.

It really wasn't for me - after that initial 'woo' you get looking at a new gadget - i was left feeling more MEH! than anything else.

It really did feel to me to be a solution to a problem you don't have - or at least feels like it in its current incarnation. And as I said previously for me as a terminally left handed user - it actually creates more issues than it attempts to resolve.

It's really something you should try yourself matey - you may like it. But for me it was something I wouldn't buy even if it was priced cheaper than the normal Note 4.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have both and use both of them. I prefer the Edge because of the side panel that allows me to control music without exiting the app I am in. I can also open any app I have in the side panel without exiting the app that I am in.

I originally bought the Note 4 first and after a week, decided to buy the Edge because I really wanted that one originally but I am not regretting owning both. I do tend to use the Edge phone more.

The Edge gets about an hour less usage then the Note 4 because of the smaller battery but that really isn't a problem.

Then of course notifications will display there as well as in the notifications pane.

Attachments

• IMG_9098.jpg
    IMG_9098.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • phones.jpg
    phones.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 87

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have both and use both of them. I prefer the Edge because of the side panel that allows me to control music without exiting the app I am in. I can also open any app I have in the side panel without exiting the app that I am in.

Simple swipe down and access music controls in notification centre and you are not exiting the app. Likewise sidebar pro app allows you to open any app without exiting the app you are in and is a simple free download from Google play ...

This is my main point of conjecture. Any of the things it can do, are utterly non essential and have equally convenient solutions without the need for a curved edge. It doesn't in anyway provide any unique functionality over existing solutions that justify it being there for me, but maybe I'm asking too much of it - but given the financial premium over the normal Note 4 I think it does require itself to justify its existence for me before I pony up.

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Simple swipe down and access music controls in notification centre and you are not exiting the app. Likewise sidebar pro app allows you to open any app without exiting the app you are in and is free ...

This is my point. Any of the things it can do, are utterly non essential and have equally convenient solutions without the need for a curved edge. It doesn't in anyway provide any unique functionality over existing solutions.

In your opinion. For me, the edge panel is one of the best things about the phone and the main reason I bought it.

Why pull down the notification panel to pause something when it's there on the edge already?

Also to point out that when using the camera, all of the cameras controls display in the edge panel.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Also to point out that when using the camera, all of the cameras controls display in the edge panel.

Which you have to reach over the screen to press (assuming you have edge on top) thereby obscuring the screen and image you are about to shoot.

and of course in my opinion. I said it repeatedly that it was my opinion, it's what thegame61 asked for. Our opinions.

I'm glad you enjoy it and find it a great device, but I just would have preferred Samsung to have given us something so unique that could only be done on that edge part. But my needs and desires are clearly different to yours and to many other users who have decided to buy it.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I have the Edge and I don't regret buying it. Edge panel at this point is 90% aesthetics because it looks cool. Other 10% = I like the offloading the app tray and the camera buttons to the edge panel but that's personal preference. Some of the downloadable Edge panels are cool but nothing I absolutely need. More like widgets to mess around with

Note 4, you'll have more a ton more accessories and cases available plus a better screen. Note Edge, the only case I liked was the official Samsung wallet case. No S View or Induction charger/Wallet case hybrid like you get with the Note 4 either

With the Samsung Wallet Edge case, phone looks pretty slick though. I have a drawing I made with the S Pen that pops up on the Edge panel when I close the case. Zero boost to functionality but really cool aesthetics

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
As I mentioned previously I have used one and whilst I was initially impressed (novelty factor) after around 15 - 20 minutes of using it, it became evident that its use/fuctionality is very limited.

Likewise for me as a left handed user, flipping the phone upside down so home button was at the top felt utterly stupid. Yes you can add a pop up menu to add on screen home button - but its very clumsily implemented.

Likewise the build of the two, the standard Note 4 feels in my honest opinion more premium in the hand despite not having a curve.

Honestly I found the edge to be nothing more than a gimmick and something that doesn't offer any better experience than just using something on a standard screen that's flat.

Indeed for me even on the desktop sticking your folders / app icons onto the curve instead of your main home screen actually looked aesthetically messy to me. I know thats my OCD design ethos kicking in, but yeah I didn't like it.

The alarm clock for the edge seems like a good idea, but there are plenty of apps that make any flat phone have a nice nighttime alarm clock like 'timely' and it's better looking in practice.

Camera controls on the edge felt wrong and its still easier to opt to use a volume button as a shutter button that reach to the top curved edge to press it.

It feels to me with everything it attempts to try and justify itself with - it only proves that there was nothing broken with the way we already had things. It doesn't find any practical or 'advantage' to justify itself imho at all.

It really wasn't for me - after that initial 'woo' you get looking at a new gadget - i was left feeling more MEH! than anything else.

It really did feel to me to be a solution to a problem you don't have - or at least feels like it in its current incarnation. And as I said previously for me as a terminally left handed user - it actually creates more issues than it attempts to resolve.

It's really something you should try yourself matey - you may like it. But for me it was something I wouldn't buy even if it was priced cheaper than the normal Note 4.
Cheers mru

Sadly can't view one for myself as not sure where to view one.

Good rundown. I love my note 4 so wouldn't get a new phone Till note 5 but was interested to see the difference

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Cheers mru

Good rundown. I love my note 4 so wouldn't get a new phone Till note 5 but was interested to see the difference

I know carphone warehouse sell them. Not sure if they have them on display though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What happened?

I was meant to post that in the Note 4 thread. But may as well keep it here now you've quoted :)

Basically seller marked item as shipped and 5 days later still not here and seller not answering any eBay messages. So it's not looking good.

I'll esculate report tomorrow and hopefully get a refund sooner rather than later and re-order a white Note 4 from elsewhere. Annoying to say the least.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I was meant to post that in the Note 4 thread. But may as well keep it here now you've quoted :)

Basically seller marked item as shipped and 5 days later still not here and seller not answering any eBay messages. So it's not looking good.

I'll esculate report tomorrow and hopefully get a refund sooner rather than later and re-order a white Note 4 from elsewhere. Annoying to say the least.

You'll get your money back. It just wastes time when you could have actually had a phone by now if you would have went with someone/someplace else. Good luck.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You'll get your money back. It just wastes time when you could have actually had a phone by now if you would have went with someone/someplace else. Good luck.

Yeah that's the frustration exactly. The fact that it wastes time and causes inconvenience.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Cheers mru

I also haven't had the chance to view it so I have been wondering how it is, although I certainly won't be getting another phone until the Note 5 arrives either, its just nice to get a nice idea of how the Edge compares to the 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.