Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoneguy265

Suspended
Sep 11, 2016
Unless everyone wants to pay yet even more for these devices for some pretty advanced sealing technology... there won't be removable batteries and water resistance. And since water resistance is a pretty major selling point, I don't see it changing any time soon.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Unless everyone wants to pay yet even more for these devices for some pretty advanced sealing technology... there won't be removable batteries and water resistance. And since water resistance is a pretty major selling point, I don't see it changing any time soon.
Not for me, i could care less about it. In fact id pick the one without it and a removable back if i could and it was cheaper.,

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Water resistance is lower priority for me too. Last time I dropped a phone, a Qualcom QCP-2700, in water was about two decades ago when phones were so bulky that you had to wear them on a belt clip which made them susceptible to bumping off. Except for overly large phones like iPhone 6/6S/7 Plus where they stick out of most pockets all phones I've owned since have fit flush inside the pocket so water is a non-issue.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think you're making unfounded assumptions. Samsung's image in the smartphone department has been very fickle for the longest. To think that Samsung would even knowingly take the risk of having potentially faulty batteries on it's most anticipated smartphone yet just to save a buck, I would say that's a misguided thought on your part. If Samsung even had a hint at this issue, they would have set the release back a month later. This a major QC oversight, NOT corporate greed knowingly pushing inferior and dangerous products on people.
My assumptions are just using the same misguided "logic" that has prevailed across these forums for some time now. Somehow it's applicable in one situation but not in another?

No one benefits from this and everyone loses, but let's not say in the same breath one company is marvelously doing a fine job on a recall but the other company is causing issues due to corporate greed. That duality is just begging to be torn apart.
[doublepost=1474231531][/doublepost]
Water resistance is lower priority for me too. Last time I dropped a phone, a Qualcom QCP-2700, in water was about two decades ago when phones were so bulky that you had to wear them on a belt clip which made them susceptible to bumping off. Except for overly large phones like iPhone 6/6S/7 Plus where they stick out of most pockets all phones I've owned since have fit flush inside the pocket so water is a non-issue.
Interesting how such a "touted" feature just sunk to the bottom of the priority list.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Hanzu Lao

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
My assumptions are just using the same misguided "logic" that has prevailed across these forums for some time now. Somehow it's applicable in one situation but not in another?

No one benefits from this and everyone loses, but let's not say in the same breath one company is marvelously doing a fine job on a recall but the other company is causing issues due to corporate greed. That duality is just begging to be torn apart.

I will not speak on any other issues. But as far as the question of whether the iPhone 7 actually has a sapphire crystal lens as Apple claims, if it actually is found that it doesn't, then that's unquestionable corporate greed.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

[doublepost=1474231531][/doublepost]
Interesting how such a "touted" feature just sunk to the bottom of the priority list.:rolleyes:
I dont think "fine job" is whats being said. I think they did the right thing and quickly. Thats all you can ask. Marviously fine job was never used. That's your over exaggerated wording.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I will not speak on any other issues. But as far as the question of whether the iPhone 7 actually has a sapphire crystal lens as Apple claims, if it actually is found that it doesn't, then that's unquestionable corporate greed.
I can't condone that, as you said, but that hasn't been proven. And still has no bearing on the thread title.
I dont think "fine job" is whats being said. I think they did the right thing and quickly. Thats all you can ask. Marviously fine job was never used. That's your over exaggerated wording.
I think that's exactly what is being said.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
September 28th, The Return of the King. Coming back with a BANG (again)?

I hope Samsung brings back the replacement Note7 with a software update to fix the lag. It would be nice if it got Nougat but that's wishful thinking. Gotta wait for it another few months. I want to see Note7 battery life on Nougat since the V20's seems efficient enough baked into it.

All of this will get sorted out. Likely will NEVER get rid of its stigma as the phone that blows up. But for happy owners who were never affected and got a replacement, where's the beef? We will probably still see some isolated exploding incidents by people charging it with some crappy Chinese charger like other phones especially ones with fast charging.

If the Note7 situation doesn't get any better two Wednesdays from now, I can see Samsung making the Note8 to be even better. Fight back when you face adversity and your back is against the wall. These mistakes will only serve as Samsung's greatest teacher and biggest motivator. Samsung locking in. The Note8 will be what the Note7 should've been the way the 4s, 5s, 6s, One M8, and S7 edge were to their predecessors.

I have no plans buying anymore phones next year. I told my gf I will stop buying phones after the V20 and use it for the rest of the decade. V20 until 2020. But if there is one device I wouldn't mind getting, it is the Exynos variant 4K display Note8 next year since foldable displays are still immature. Samsung releases too many phones anyway. Why judge their entire portfolio on this Note7 fiasco?

Samsung is already plotting its course after all this trouble. They have foresight where Apple (ahem, Tim Cook) lacks at. Again, too skilled to be kicked on the ground for long. Then by 2020's, slab designs go away and the foldable displays with different designs like clamshells or gets folded multiple times will be the new trend in the next decade.

This will be only a minor footnote in their history. Samsung can change the narrative real quickly singing a different tune. Sony couldn't recover from its VAIO battery recall a decade ago. Samsung probably will and as early as next year. I don't even like Samsung as a brand just like Apple. But I can respect and admire Samsung's importance to several industries including Apple and Google as their partners.

So to all the media, Samsung haters, and Note7 naysayers out there...
eb9e4ee1bdebac7bdf5c9474e785cca0.jpg

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
Greed is good guys, you can't criticize Apple for wanting to do their best for their employees and investors. Haven't you been reading your Ayn Rand? Having trouble in that long slog through The Fountainhead? Buck up, bootstraps and all that...

Bill O'Reilly would not approve of your whining. Neither do I.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Still mixing up apples and oranges and quoting the same tired percentages as if it makes it somehow okay. And since you used the word "greed" first, this is the reason Samsung is in this position...corporate greed, as if some burnings and a blown up jeep are better than other things.:rolleyes:
[doublepost=1474227518][/doublepost]
Does that last paragraph of Internet arm-chair psychology refer to Apple, Samsung, htc or other third party phone buyers? It's really hard to tell.
Samsung was not the one who stayed on 16GB for margins
Samsung was not the one who didn't come out with a 32B model so as to upsell the 64gb variant with higher margins and doing the same with the iPhone 7 by skipping the 64 gig variant
Samsung was not the one who comes out with a variant of its flagship which is the most beautiful and scratches right out of the box to upsell accessories

Samsung is not the one who ignores Touch Disease or anything of the like to force people to upgrade to their latest phone

Samsung is not the one offering a 720P display for 1000 bucks

Samsung is not the one keeping certain features exclusive to their Edge phone so as to force people to get a larger phone to get those exclusives through higher margins

Samsung is not the one intentionally slowing down software to get people to upgrade

Apple has the highest margins of any company and its all a result of profit motive over customer satisfaction

I think saying Samsung has more corporate greed than Apple is a argument you will never win

PS-You still haven't answered on the actual real life impact of Touch Disease Hissgate vs Batterygate.All I see in the news is 92 incidents of Note 7 blowing up while billions of iPhones are potentially shutting down in future

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
September 28th, The Return of the King. Coming back with a BANG (again)?
Samsung is already plotting its course after all this trouble. They have foresight where Apple (ahem, Tim Cook) lacks

So to all the media, Samsung haters, and Note7 naysayers out there...
eb9e4ee1bdebac7bdf5c9474e785cca0.jpg
I agree with us part.Samsung is going to put the pedal to the metal next year not only considering the Note 7 fiasco but also the iPhone 8 dramatic overhaul with OLED.Apple better get on their toes.Samsung will be back in action guns blazing next year.Although it's pretty sad that by the time Apple adopts OLED completely Samsung will be on better VR and foldable displays

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Samsung was not the one who stayed on 16GB for margins
Samsung was not the one who didn't come out with a 32B model so as to upsell the 64gb variant with higher margins and doing the same with the iPhone 7 by skipping the 64 gig variant
Samsung was not the one who comes out with a variant of its flagship which is the most beautiful and scratches right out of the box to upsell accessories

Samsung is not the one who ignores Touch Disease or anything of the like to force people to upgrade to their latest phone

Samsung is not the one offering a 720P display for 1000 bucks

Samsung is not the one keeping certain features exclusive to their Edge phone so as to force people to get a larger phone to get those exclusives through higher margins

Samsung is not the one intentionally slowing down software to get people to upgrade

Apple has the highest margins of any company and its all a result of profit motive over customer satisfaction

I think saying Samsung has more corporate greed than Apple is a argument you will never win

PS-You still haven't answered on the actual real life impact of Touch Disease Hissgate vs Batterygate.All I see in the news is 92 incidents of Note 7 blowing up while billions of iPhones are potentially shutting down in future
So margins and and all of this jumble of other stuff have anything to do with a recall or batteries bursting into flames? Deflections, more deflections and more hyperbole. The only thing you may be right is margins, samsungs margins. in order to increase margins Samsung got the batteries in house which was a contributing factor to this recall.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I agree with us part.Samsung is going to put the pedal to the metal next year not only considering the Note 7 fiasco but also the iPhone 8 dramatic overhaul with OLED.Apple better get on their toes.Samsung will be back in action guns blazing next year.Although it's pretty sad that by the time Apple adopts OLED completely Samsung will be on better VR and foldable displays

Pedal to the metal wishful thinking.
Samsung is in crisis control right now.

"Samsung sells off shares as it deals with its exploding batteries crisis"

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...ts-exploding-phone-crisis/7857424?pfmredir=sm

The s8 is the last thing on their minds

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So margins and and all of this jumble of other stuff have anything to do with a recall or batteries bursting into flames? Deflections, more deflections and more hyperbole. The only thing you may be right is margins, samsungs margins. in order to increase margins Samsung got the batteries in house which was a contributing factor to this recall.

Because the basic point you continually seem to miss is that the battery problem had nothing to do with margins unless you prove to me how manufacturing 1% of Samsung Note 7 in their own units whilst outsourcing 99% is profitable.I'll wait.

Talk about profit margins,Samsung Galaxy S7 (a 6 month old Samsung model) is destroying thei Phone in the camera department despite costing less.Is this even a contest?Apple made no effort to keep up with 6 month old models relying on their brand image to sell and hyped up the camera in the keynore for marketing.The R&D costs which Apple gained and Samsung lost clearly indicate Apple being the more profit oriented company here

[doublepost=1474280407][/doublepost]
Pedal to the metal wishful thinking.
Samsung is in crisis control right now.

"Samsung sells off shares as it deals with its exploding batteries crisis"

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...ts-exploding-phone-crisis/7857424?pfmredir=sm

The s8 is the last thing on their minds
On the contrary,an early release is expected for the S8

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/09/14...-be-advanced-due-to-the-galaxy-note-7-recall/

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Samsung can recover from this? Hell yeah. Is the Note7 the only phone in their portfolio? They sell a ton of other phones. Look at Toyota where they had a far worse fiasco with a recall across multiple product lines.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/annemar...d-from-the-brands-recall-crisis/#424ceae243ae

P1-BP763_TOYOTA_G_20140409181804.jpg

Toyota-300x244.jpg

Samsung is richer than both Sony and Toyota before they went through their recall. You owe up to it and move on. Then you come back harder with better products.

I can already sense Samsung Galaxy Note8 will be awesome thanks to this Note7 fiasco. Like Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant getting cold before dropping 50 points the next game. You come from a 3-1 like LeBron James' team did in the Finals. You come back stronger from the hate.

Reactions: Radon87000

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Because the basic point you continually seem to miss is that the battery problem had nothing to do with margins unless you prove to me how manufacturing 1% of Samsung Note 7 in their own units whilst outsourcing 99% is profitable.I'll wait.

Talk about profit margins,Samsung Galaxy S7 (a 6 month old Samsung model) is destroying thei Phone in the camera department despite costing less.Is this even a contest?Apple made no effort to keep up with 6 month old models relying on their brand image to sell and hyped up the camera in the keynore for marketing.The R&D costs which Apple gained and Samsung lost clearly indicate Apple being the more profit oriented company here

Snip
[doublepost=1474280407][/doublepost]
On the contrary,an early release is expected for the S8

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/09/14...-be-advanced-due-to-the-galaxy-note-7-recall/
And you wind up this set of off-topic deflections and hyperbole with something about....cameras? Certainly germane to the discussion of recalled batteries.

So since you like "to prove"; "prove" this recall wasn't profit related by Samsung.

Separate thought:
I hope the note 8 does not follow in the footsteps of its former cousin. Samsung should get out of the battery business.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
And you wind up this set of off-topic deflections and hyperbole with something about....cameras? Certainly germane to the discussion of recalled batteries.

So since you like "to prove"; "prove" this recall wasn't profit related by Samsung.
I proved it many posts above.Recall is about batteries.If you know even a little bit of cost management you would realize that shifting 1% batteries to inhouse may actually cost more in terms of economies of scale moreso than what would have happened had Samsung shifted 40-50% batteries in inhouse in which case your point made at least a little sense and which they didnt do.99% batteries are not inhouse so you quite literally are grasping at straws here and this is not even considering the fact that for a giant like Samsung they probably wont even feel it

I brought the camera into the discussion as a sidepoint that Samsung gives more for less AKA less margins for Samsung

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I proved it many posts above.If you know even a little bit of cost management you would realize that shifting 1% batteries to inhouse may actually cost more in terms of economies of scale moreso than what would have happened had Samsung shifted 40-50% batteries in inhouse in which case your point made at least a little sense and which they didnt do.99% batteries are not inhouse so you quite literally are grasping at straws here and this is not even considering the fact that for a giant like Samsung they probably wont even feel it

I brought the camera into the discussion as a sidepoint that Samsung gives more for less AKA less margins for Samsung
That's not proof, its hyperbole. There's a difference. Samsung brought the batteries in-house for profit and this is what happened. This has zero to do with Apple, who is probably glad they are using a different battery supplier; other than Samsung.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...plodes-in-pocket.1997684/page-2#post-23509162

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Actually, now it's being reported that it might be a design flaw. Battery compartment is too small for the size batter they went with.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That's not proof, its hyperbole. There's a difference. Samsung brought the batteries in-house for profit and this is what happened. This has zero to do with Apple, who is probably glad they are using a different battery supplier; other than Samsung.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...plodes-in-pocket.1997684/page-2#post-23509162
I explained my logic regarding how that 1% does not matter.You make blatant statements without any logic to back it up.Tell me HOW does shifting 1% batteries into inhouse have higher profits

As to your link I already read the news on Verge.They made the battery too big for the compartment.Samsung already announced that in reality only a small number of phones are affected so these 1% batteries are the only ones with physical problems.This is not profit motive at all.On the contrary they tried to give the customers the best design and battery life they possibly could but flunked on their production lines of their inhouse batteries.Trying to get a head start on the competitors is basic business strategy.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I explained my logic regarding how that 1% does not matter.You make blatant statements without any logic to back it up.Tell me HOW does shifting 1% batteries into inhouse have higher profits

As to your link I already read the news on Verge.They made the battery too big for the compartment.Samsung already announced that in reality only a small number of phones are affected so these 1% batteries are the only ones with physical problems.This is not profit motive at all.On the contrary they tried to give the customers the best design and battery life they possibly could but flunked on their production lines of their inhouse batteries.Trying to get a head start on the competitors is basic business strategy.
their strategy was a wee bit flawed. Sure their hearts were in the right place, execution fail. Interesting how the tired "Samsung is altruistic and customer focused" theme has just resurfaced and downplaying injuries and damage through the use of percentages as if the recall is over nothing.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Wha? If it's true that this happened because they were in a rush to beat iPhone 7, then that means they overlooked QC in a rush to grab at money. That's nothing but profit motive.

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
Lol more car analogies. Get it through your thick heads: CARS ARE NOT PHONES AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ASSUME SIMILAR RISK IN USING YOUR CELLPHONE TO THE RISK ASSOCIATED WITH OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE

Can you come up with a similar situation where a company has nearly killed hundreds of its own customers and come out unscathed? A non-car company? Points if you don't bring up some gun or plane or boat manufacturer which would be the same fallacious argument.

Reactions: FFR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.