Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

USAFA2008

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I had the chance to play with one of my parents' Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 over the New Year and I liked how the notes in S Note that are handwritten will sync with Evernote. This got me interested in the Apple Pencil for my iPad Pro 9.7. I am assuming that there is a note app that will fit my criteria and I am hoping someone can make a recommendation for an app:
  • Must allow me to sync my notes across all devices that I own.
  • Must work on iOS macOS and Windows.
  • A bonus would be working on Android and a website to access my notes like Evernote and OneNote but that is not a requirement.
  • Must allow both handwritten and typed notes to be synced.
  • Must allow me to send my notes by email as a PDF.
  • I would like a lined page template like Samsung has in S Note but this is not a requirement.
My wife uses Notability with her iPhone and iPad but it does not offer a solution for my Surface Pro 4 so it won't work for my needs. I haven't found anything about Evernote working with the Apple Pencil for my requirements but if it does then I will probably stay with Evernote since I pay for the premium subscription.
Also if anyone has a recommendation for an app that will allow me to mark on a PDF and picture and send it by email I would appreciate those recommendations too.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Notability. the native iOS and Mac mail client let’s you mark on pdf and send it.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Personally, I prefer OneNote to evernote and it works great with the Apple Pencil. It also syncs across multiple devices.

USAFA2008

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Notability. the native iOS and Mac mail client let’s you mark on pdf and send it.
But Notability doesn't have a Windows app or a website with the synced notes so it won't work for what I need with a note app. But for marking pdf I will give it a try on my wife's iPad once I get an Apple Pencil.
Personally, I prefer OneNote to evernote and it works great with the Apple Pencil. It also syncs across multiple devices.
I don't think I have ever used OneNote but I hear great things about it. Will it allow the notes I take to be emailed as a pdf?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I don't think I have ever used OneNote but I hear great things about it. Will it allow the notes I take to be emailed as a pdf?

Yeah - there's an option to email a page within the app and that generates a PDF attachment that is attached to an email

USAFA2008

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah - there's an option to email a page within the app and that generates a PDF attachment that is attached to an email
Thanks perhaps I will take another look at onenote since I don't think I ever used it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.