Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rMBP15

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
I had the Note 2 since the phone first arrived to Canada... I didn't like it that much and decided to go back to iPhone 5. I still miss the larger screen, but it won't be a problem anymore when Apple releases larger iPhone later this year.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Yeah, might as well

What your post doesn't show is that blurry line where a device goes from something that "disappears" into a pocket, and where it becomes somewhat of a noticeable nuisance to carry around. This line of course varies from individual to individual, but once that line is crossed, why not just go for the biggest device that you can pocket?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
What your post doesn't show is that blurry line where a device goes from something that "disappears" into a pocket, and where it becomes somewhat of a noticeable nuisance to carry around. This line of course varies from individual to individual, but once that line is crossed, why not just go for the biggest device that you can pocket?

Oh its too big for me and ive said that before and why i wont get one and it will be too big for my pocket. I would have to use a holster or something. But many people love the size.
Im just showing that it isnt near as big as a iPad and he said he may as well carry around an iPad.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Oh its too big for me and ive said that before and why i wont get one and it will be too big for my pocket. I would have to use a holster or something. But many people love the size.
Im just showing that it isnt near as big as a iPad and he said he may as well carry around an iPad.

Well, that's my point. For the folks that consider the Note II's size over the line to comfortably pocket, why not just go right to for the largest screen size that you can pocket -- if it's starting to be a nuisance to carry around, why not go for the benefit of the largest you can handle?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Well, that's my point. For the folks that consider the Note II's size over the line to comfortably pocket, why not just go right to for the largest screen size that you can pocket -- if it's starting to be a nuisance to carry around, why not go for the benefit of the largest you can handle?

Just dont see how that makes sense. IMO he meant the Note is almost as big as a iPad which obviously he was greatly exaggerating which most the Apple supporters do.
As i said, the Note 2 is too big for my taste as far as a mobile phone but if i had to choose between that to carry with me or a iPad, im choosing the Note. I doubt those that say they may as well carry an iPad would actually choose to do that.

Did you see the difference of the Note 2 even compared to the Mini?

Last edited:

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Like i said i dont know how long you have had the Note 2 but it will pass if your only in it a couple weeks.

This is month 2 for me, and I find myself using my mini and tethering more than using the Note.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I have a boss at my job who sold his 5 for a note. The biggest reason being that he is a big guy with big fingers. He had trouble typing on the 5. If it had not been for this problem, he said he would still have the 5.

He also said that it is awkward now putting the note in his pocket so he tends to leave it lying around and I'm thinking it will be stolen because of that.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Just dont see how that makes sense. IMO he meant the Note is almost as big as a iPad which obviously he was greatly exaggerating which most the Apple supporters do.
As i said, the Note 2 is too big for my taste as far as a mobile phone but if i had to choose between that to carry with me or a iPad, im choosing the Note. I doubt those that say they may as well carry an iPad would actually choose to do that.

Did you see the difference of the Note 2 even compared to the Mini?

I'm only referring to the size of these devices, and how it affects usability. Forget for a minute that he mentioned the iPad to remove it from the whole waring camps nonsense that makes these forums more than a bit frustrating.

Larger screens are better to work with/on, and larger devices are more trouble to carry around -- that's the problem. The most convenient way for most people to carry something like this around, is in their front pocket. When you get to the point where the device becomes larger then you would like to be carrying around in your front pocket - and lots of people are saying the size of something like the Note II crosses that line for them - and you abandon the front pocket for something else (you talked about a holster -- a joke I think) why not go for the largest screen size that would be practical in that category?

The Nexus 7's width makes it easy to stick into a variety of back pockets - that's good. The mini is a bit wide for most back pockets, but if you subtract the bezels, it would be the same width as the N7. Both the N7 and mini are a bit too long to fit closed up into most cargo pockets (at least the ones I have), but again, bezel trimming could fix that. No one makes it yet, but that's what I would go for as the next step up from a "front pocket" device.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm only referring to the size of these devices, and how it affects usability. Forget for a minute that he mentioned the iPad to remove it from the whole waring camps nonsense that makes these forums more than a bit frustrating.

Larger screens are better to work with/on, and larger devices are more trouble to carry around -- that's the problem. The most convenient way for most people to carry something like this around, is in their front pocket. When you get to the point where the device becomes larger then you would like to be carrying around in your front pocket - and lots of people are saying the size of something like the Note II crosses that line for them - and you abandon the front pocket for something else (you talked about a holster -- a joke I think) why not go for the largest screen size that would be practical in that category?

The Nexus 7's width makes it easy to stick into a variety of back pockets - that's good. The mini is a bit wide for most back pockets, but if you subtract the bezels, it would be the same width as the N7. Both the N7 and mini are a bit too long to fit closed up into most cargo pockets (at least the ones I have), but again, bezel trimming could fix that. No one makes it yet, but that's what I would go for as the next step up from a "front pocket" device.
I don't think anyone who thinks the Note 2 is too big for a front pocket would turn around and think that they might as well carry it in a holster--and then decide to go even bigger. That makes little sense, in my opinion.

Instead I would think, if the Note 2 is too big for them, they would choose something that is not too big: such as an S3. Personally, I could never see going all the way down to an iPhone 5 but to each their own.

As for me, the Note 2 has proven to be not too big: it fits in my front pocket so far in everything I have tried so far. I am 6' 1" and have fairly large hands. So there is that. My GF is only 5' 1" with small hands and there is no way she would go for the Note 2 (thought she is tempted by it).

Michael

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Been with my Note 2 for two weeks now, before that had Galaxy Nexus. I have become totally used to this size, feels like a normal phone to me now.

Now my Galaxy Nexus, feels so small, and tiny. And an iPhone is like a wristwatch.

Note 2 is not too large, whatsoever.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I don't think anyone who thinks the Note 2 is too big for a front pocket would turn around and think that they might as well carry it in a holster--and then decide to go even bigger. That makes little sense, in my opinion.

Instead I would think, if the Note 2 is too big for them, they would choose something that is not too big: such as an S3. Personally, I could never see going all the way down to an iPhone 5 but to each their own.

As for me, the Note 2 has proven to be not too big: it fits in my front pocket so far in everything I have tried so far. I am 6' 1" and have fairly large hands. So there is that. My GF is only 5' 1" with small hands and there is no way she would go for the Note 2 (thought she is tempted by it).

Michael

It makes sense if someone really wants a bigger screen,and has given up on the front pocket. If the front pocket was the constraining factor on how large a device you would use, and that constraint is removed, why not push the size up to the next constraining point? -- Back pocket, cargo pocket, coat, jacket pocket size. It looks like larger and larger phones/mini tablets are coming, so all this will be tested out in real life.

I've been living with a N7 and N4 as my pocketable pair for a while now. I just got a iPod touch the other day and man - I've made fun of Apple's thinness obsession in the past, but this thing is impressive. Disappears in the pocket just the way it should. I have big hands and fingers too, and typing on it in portrait is a pain, but I like to be able to travel light when I want. I look forward to a phone like this whenever it becomes possible. Plus I'm glad to have access to Apple's ecosystem in my pocket, which I think is one of the main things OP is talking about here. I think I'll be sticking with my N4/iPod for a while as I wait for a good cargo pocket sized tablet to come along. Too each their own, and it looks like we'll all have good choices coming up.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Same thing happened with me. Had fun with my Note for a few days and then I returned it and went back to my iPhone 5. Now that iOS is jailbroken, I am completely satisfied.

This is exactly how I feel. I think the iphone could be a little bigger 4.2 -4.5 range and then it would truly be perfect.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
knuckleheadThe Nexus 7's width makes it easy to stick into a variety of back pockets - that's good. The mini is a bit wide for most back pockets, but if you subtract the bezels, it would be the same width as the N7. Both the N7 and mini are a bit too long to fit closed up into most cargo pockets (at least the ones I have), but again, bezel trimming could fix that. No one makes it yet, but that's what I would go for as the next step up from a "front pocket" device.
Now your just being silly. Who the hell would TRY and put a N7 in their backpocket? C-mon now.....and no i wasnt kidding about a holster though that holster would be big and again, i dont have a Note 2 to say if it is or not because for me, as a phone, the Note 2 is too big for what i want.

I have never put my phone in my front pocket. I dont have a desk job where i need to wear a suit or a nice button shirt with pockets or whatever. Just isnt feasible for me to put it in a front pocket.

Sorry but this conversation is needless and going nowhere.

----------

Michael

Bingo

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Been with my Note 2 for two weeks now, before that had Galaxy Nexus. I have become totally used to this size, feels like a normal phone to me now.

Now my Galaxy Nexus, feels so small, and tiny. And an iPhone is like a wristwatch.

Note 2 is not too large, whatsoever.
I agree. When I use my GF's iPhone I complain about having to use "this danged postage stamp screen" :D

Michael

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
This is month 2 for me, and I find myself using my mini and tethering more than using the Note.

Well then you are having a real tough time adjusting. Obviously its enough time to know you love the Note 2. You just have to decide which is best for you regardless of if you miss a few apps. Ive found that there are more than enough apps in Android but ive never used iMessage. Siri i can totally do without since Google Now works great and it is fast.

I know some others that have a tough time leaving the iPhone alone after switching and one guy brings both to work though his GS3 has a new number altogether so not many even have that number. Not sure why he did that.

Im the type to use one.This is off topic but I dont flip channells on the TV either. I pick a program after a few flips to see whats on and then stay on the one. My Wife drives me crazy with her constant channell flippng as she changes it right in the middle of a program that im just getting into and many times i wont watch TV with her, lol.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
I love the Note II to death, especially the screen...yet I find myself wanting to go back to iPhone 5. I think the reasons are because I miss some features and apps of iOS, but I think the need to switch back is irrational. Am I crazy?

No.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
When I had two Note 2's I put the Grey up for trade, 32GB iPhone 5 but no interest.

The only reason why I wanted it was because I wanted it as an iPod touch, I missed my iTunes (protected) purchases.

I ended selling my Note 2 instead and bought a 32GB iPod touch 5G (Black).

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
If you have no problems using a plastic phone then I don't see a reason to go for a smaller cramped display and a stale boring OS that is less innovating than android. and wasting your cash. Also having two phones just so you can use android and ios is just a waste of money.

Stale boring is simple and efficient to others.

Also I note that the frame rate on the android OS is much choppier than on ios.

Also for the love god all the carrier settings on android devices. UGHH

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Now your just being silly. Who the hell would TRY and put a N7 in their backpocket? C-mon now.....and no i wasnt kidding about a holster though that holster would be big and again, i dont have a Note 2 to say if it is or not because for me, as a phone, the Note 2 is too big for what i want.

I have never put my phone in my front pocket. I dont have a desk job where i need to wear a suit or a nice button shirt with pockets or whatever. Just isnt feasible for me to put it in a front pocket.

Sorry but this conversation is needless and going nowhere.

You got it right about the conversation going nowhere.

I can assure you that many people - myself included - put their N 7"s in their back pockets. ...and what on earth does putting your phone in your front pocket have to do with wearing a suit??? I live in Austin, and I'm in shorts, a t-shirt and sandals most of the time. When I head out the door to my car, I stick the N 4 in my front pocket, and the N 7 in my back pocket. What possible reason would there be for not doing that???

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

I can assure you that many people - myself included - put their N 7"s in their back pockets. ...and what on earth does putting your phone in your front pocket have to do with wearing a suit??? I live in Austin, and I'm in shorts, a t-shirt and sandals most of the time. When I head out the door to my car, I stick the N 4 in my front pocket, and the N 7 in my back pocket. What possible reason would there be for not doing that???

Wow, can't believe the N7 fits in your back pockets. I used to keep my iPhone in back pocket for years--and then kept my N4 in there when I got it in November.

But I tried that with my Note 2 and it didn't feel secure. Seemed to want to slide out. So now use my front pocket (fits fine).

Michael

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Wow, can't believe the N7 fits in your back pockets. I used to keep my iPhone in back pocket for years--and then kept my N4 in there when I got it in November.

But I tried that with my Note 2 and it didn't feel secure. Seemed to want to slide out. So now use my front pocket (fits fine).

Michael

It fits fine in just about all the back pockets I have -- no problem at all with it being in danger of falling out. It's of course just for carrying from destination to destination - I take it out when sitting down ... but I tend to take anything out of my back pockets when sitting down. Where it does want to fall out of is cargo pockets due to it's being too long for the flap to close -- useless for that.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

LOL, sorry...i just have to laugh picturing anyone putting their N7 in their back pocket. Something i dont see around here. And it looks really lame having that 7" tablet in a back pocket. I would imagine that would be uncomfortable.

Honestly i dont know why anyone would put their phone in their back pocket either. I guess thats why we see iP5's bending because they get sat on.

As for the N4, i just dont use my front pocket and not all t-shirts have a front pocket. Just easier to have it fall out when you bend down if you ask me. Depends on what kind of shirt i have on if i put it in there or not which isnt very often. Certainly not a t-shirt.

But hey, to each their own. Just not something i would do and dont see it happening around here.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.