Note in preperation for the release of Tiger.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 22, 2003
2,025
112
GA
DO NOT install this bad boy if you still have work to get done for the day. Install it before you go to bed. It may sound odd, but Tiger runs slowly for the first eight hours of uptime or so because Spotlight is indexing the hard drive. And in addition to that, users need to try and not run any apps while spotlight is indexing because it puts undue stress on the hard drives. After spotlight indexes tho, WHEW! Flaming. Everything I do is just that much faster, and H.264 is the absolute bomb. Less than 2 megs per second for way better than DVD quality video. Anyway, the 29th is coming.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
169
Quick question: Does Spotlight index all drives straight away or just the boot/system drive? Does it give you any options when it starts doing its thing?
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,681
665
Colly-fornia
I generally won't do ANY updates unless I'm done with any actual work for the day, and usually for the weekend. I don't trust those updates not to mess with my computer. To many loose rm commands running around to make me comfortable sometimes!
 

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 22, 2003
2,025
112
GA
Blue Velvet said:
Quick question: Does Spotlight index all drives straight away or just the boot/system drive? Does it give you any options when it starts doing its thing?

All Files on All Drives unless you specify otherwise in the control panel. Pardon me, System Preferences Panel. Been using Macs too long, I still call em CDEFs.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
169
SPUY767 said:
All Files on All Drives unless you specify otherwise in the control panel. Pardon me, System Preferences Panel. Been using Macs too long, I still call em CDEFs.

Thanks. :)

Preordered Tiger from Amazon.co.uk tonight and ordered some new Seagate 300gb drives... am looking forward to giving my Mac a face-lift.
 

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 22, 2003
2,025
112
GA
I backed up my system t a 250 gigger in preparation for the install, but the install went flawlessly. All apps still work, that I've had the chance to use, and all my registrations, with the exception of QT are intact. QT is a new version, so I expected it to go away, but I developed a work around until I can upgrade to pro without legion of black suited Apple secret agents killing me in my sleep.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
They fix several minor QT Player features that drove me crazy before. Clicking on the QT icon in the dock no longer brings up a new window, if none existed before.

Second, the High Quality video setting can be enabled for every clip that it is available for.

Thirdly, QT Player is now multithreaded so you don't have to wait for a clip to process.
 

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
5,338
14
Canberra OZ
SPUY767 said:
DO NOT install this bad boy if you still have work to get done for the day. Install it before you go to bed. It may sound odd, but Tiger runs slowly for the first eight hours of uptime or so because Spotlight is indexing the hard drive. And in addition to that, users need to try and not run any apps while spotlight is indexing because it puts undue stress on the hard drives. After spotlight indexes tho, WHEW! Flaming. Everything I do is just that much faster, and H.264 is the absolute bomb. Less than 2 megs per second for way better than DVD quality video. Anyway, the 29th is coming.

Thanks.
 

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 22, 2003
2,025
112
GA
Blue Velvet said:
Thanks. :)

Preordered Tiger from Amazon.co.uk tonight and ordered some new Seagate 300gb drives... am looking forward to giving my Mac a face-lift.
Yeah, I ordered tiger from the educational store last night, $69.99 BABY! But I found myself unable to resist the temptation of having it early, and like love, I found a way. I have noted speed boosts in most quicktime functions, a huge boost in FCP performance, motion seems to run a little faster, and the DVD burning is markedly snappier. Haven't got the chance to try out other features, Some older screensavers are kaput tho, but they sucked anyway, my version of Marine Aquarium is still kicking, There are some new apple screensavers, but i'll leave those to the imagination. My download speed jumped by about 20%, i don't know if that's coincidence, or if Tiger manages resources better. I haven't gotten to try out OGl performance yet, spotlight indexing was still running when i left, but I expect that it will be a boost over 8a393 which was a boost of 10-20%, depending on the game, over 10.3.9. Quicktime 7 Has some interesting features that I have found helpful, and I don't know if there is a new version of iTunes yet. RSS feeds in Safari rock, and the RSS screensaver is the bomb. Miltiprocessing seems to have gotten a boost as well, as I was able to run a movie in full screen on the second monitor while I captured a movie from DV, and edited it in FCP w/nary a hiccup in the video playback. I'm giving away too much already, you guys will find out on the 29th.

Cheers