NOTE ON "OLD" MacBooks and purchasing for $999

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scottsdale, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

So, a good friend of mine was not happy with the new MacBooks (clueless), so he went and bought the $999 version with the new SuperDrive instead of Combo drive. He spent exactly $999 and did not a single upgrade. He was stoked about the deal and called me up tonight saying he already received it tonight. Overnighted it I guess, so paid that fee... Or he bought at store and didn't mention it. I guess I didn't ask that question.

Anyways, he swears to God it has the 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor in it and NOT the 2.1 it is supposed to have. This makes me wonder, is Apple just selling all of the existing inventory 2.4 GHz MacBooks without trying to raise a fuss???

Seriously, it makes the $999 deal a much better deal for sure. Especially if you had intended to buy the white MacBook for $1099 before the new updates and you get it for $100 off, you get the upgraded 2.4 GHz processor, you get the SuperDrive instead of the Combo drive, and of course, he gets FIREWIRE which all of the new MB buyers lose.

Is this a glitch, or is this the way Apple ensures to not further stress the new MB 2.0 GHz Aluminum buyers...? Or what?

2. migsev macrumors regular

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The "new" white MacBooks have a part number MB402X/B (might be a different letter or letters before the /B in your country) and are definitely the 2.1GHz with 1GB, 120GB and a Superdrive. They ship with OS X 10.5.4, not the special build of 10.5.5 that comes on the Aluminium ones. The "new" 17" MacBook Pro also ships with 10.5.4

If he got the MacBook MB403X/A (again, might not be an "X") then he got the 2.4GHz, 2GB, 160GB Superdrive model.

It's certainly possible but we'd need to check it out first.

4. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Thanks for that information. Just past midnight, going to get some sleep. I will ask him tomorrow and report back. Sure would be nice to know we could get the same deal if we wanted it...

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract