Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmister

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
All my iOS devices are on 8.4. If I upgrade my primary Mac to El Capitan, will it still have the seamless syncing of Notes through iCloud that it has now? I'm worried the new Notes requires iOS 9. Does anyone know?

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I'd also like to know something similar.

I have just upgraded my MacBook to El Capitan and it has invited me to upgrade my notes. I haven't yet done so. At present, I can see my notes on my other Mac on Snow Leopard (with Mail) and on my iPad on iOS 5.

Will I still be able to see my notes on those two other devices if I upgrade notes in El Capitan?

I don't mind if I can't see the new features such as check boxes etc.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Once you upgrade your new notes or hanged will not sync between your devices. So if you plan to keep notes in sync I advice not updating your iCloud notes until/unless you also plan to fully migrate to 9.0 or El Capitan on all your devices.

Reactions: sananda

mrmister

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I'm not on El Cap yet—so is what we're saying that when you launch Notes for the first time on El Cap, it asks if you want to upgrade, and if I decline that it works like it currently does?

Has anyone actually done that—running El Cap with iOS 8 devices?

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I'm not on El Cap yet—so is what we're saying that when you launch Notes for the first time on El Cap, it asks if you want to upgrade, and if I decline that it works like it currently does?

I didn't upgrade my notes and everything seems to be working as before. My notes are appearing on my iPad (running iOS 5), my other Mac (on Snow Leopard) and my stuff on iOS 9. I don't have anything with iOS 8.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011

I'm on El Cap and 8.4. The first time you run notes on El Cap, it'll tell you new features about notes, and you need to upgrade to have all the new features synced. But if you don't, everything still works as before.

I'm feeling nice, here's the screens you get when you click on "Upgrade".
http://imgur.com/TqdckbE
http://imgur.com/u8TgNuB

Last edited:
Reactions: sananda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.