"Note taking" app plus Evernote workflow help!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Fireproof!, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

I'm wanting to use a note taking app to take notes in meetings when it's not appropriate to have a laptop open and type. Currently testing out Notes Plus and Noteshelf.

Ayway - I also occasionally type notes and store other things in Evernote.

I'm curious about your workflow ideas between the note taking app and Evernote. Do you organize in the note app AND also export the notes into Evernote? (And then go organize and tag those later?)

I'm trying to minimize redundant filing/organization. But I also don't want to have to look in two places when finding old notes.

Having a brain fart and looking for ideas, examples, etc from you productivity gurus. :D

2. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Certainly not claiming guru status (!) but wrestled with this a bit until I found a workflow that suited me. I like to use a couple of different apps for notes and meetings, depending on what I might need to do later with the doc - including using a pen and notpad sometimes. So now I take notes in Notify/ OmniGraffle/ Pages /whatever makes most sense, and then upload to Evernote and organise. If I'm taking paper notes, I take a picture on my ipad then upload to Evernote. Then I delete the original doc from the app I created it in. That way I don't have duplicates, and I don't run the risk of updating files in the original app instead of Evernote. Works well for me so far.

3. Fireproof! thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Thanks - that makes sense. I also take pics of whiteboard brainstorm sessions and store those in Evernote as well.

Would love to hear input from others as well, as there is more than one way to skin a cat (or so I'm told).

4. Mawal macrumors regular

for notetaking I use awesome notes which syncs directly to evernote.

5. Fireproof! thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Does it really "sync" or can you only export awesome notes into Evernote?

I'm currently using Noteshelf, and it can EXPORT to Evernote, but doesn't provide true "synchronization."

The one thing I don't like is that anything I export lands in ONE overall "Noteshelf" notebook in Evernote. I would prefer it to create individual notebooks as they are in Noteshelf.

For example: I have a Meeting Notes notebook in Noteshelf where I take weekly meeting notes. I also have an "IT Systems" notebook with software notes in that one. If I export either of those notebooks, or pages within, it goes into ONE Evernote notebook called "Noteshelf" and requires me to go split them out and reorganize in Evernote.

Am I missing something?