Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJJ19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
I just got the iPhone 7 plus, yesterday. I am interested to know what y'alls favorite note taking app(s) is/are. I've heard great things about ProCreate buuuuut I can't download that since it's only for the iPad. I would love to be able to handewrite notes. I'm sure I'm being super picky with what I want an app todo. Lol. TIA.

Last edited:

meerkat1990

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2016
Romulus
I've always used Evernote. They recently added a restriction limiting the free version to 2 devices. I also still use the standard notes app included on the phone since I also have a Mac those notes sync as well.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I also use Evernote because it works across platforms. In the event I'm using an android device I can always carry my notes with me no matter what OS I'm using.

About the restriction limit meerkat1990 mentioned I'm paying $7.99 for the Plus upgrade option.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I have to mention Notability, I've been using it on my iPhones and iPads and it seems to work great for my needs. Worth a try.

Reactions: chestvrg

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Last edited:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Thank You :) How does it do with handwriting notes?
I cannot comment as I've never used handwriting on an electronic device since my old Palm T|X, and even then it wasn't true handwriting.
[doublepost=1481763718][/doublepost]
I'd advise against using Evernote as they are changing their privacy policy on January 23, 2017 to allow for some of their employees to have access to read your notes.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/235660588
This is good to know. Thank you.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I'd advise against using Evernote as they are changing their privacy policy on January 23, 2017 to allow for some of their employees to have access to read your notes.

That's interesting but this privacy policy also says that is for machine learning technology purposes and that some human interaction is required, in addition only few employees have chess and have to go through background investigation in order to have access to this data set of accessing Evernote information as well.

It's a little scary to think someone out there is reading your private information, but isn't Apple, Google, Uncle Sam doing the same thing. Now days in the age of the internet nothing is completely secured, no matter how many layers of encryption it has.

In my case for storing more private information such as internet logins, bank account information, and so on... I use an app called "Password Plus" from DataViz, and even that data I know is not completely safe. Then again Google knows all or most of these password via Google Chrome since most of these login passwords are stored in the google Chrome browser.

So I wouldn't worry much as long as you're not storing social security numbers, or other logins such as bank accounts and or other sites you wouldn't want wondering eyes to look into.

I also wanted to cleared out that the plus upgrade is $3.99/month not $7.99/month as I had previously stated.
ce51e10c18ff0eabe589e343c8430fb0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ardchoille50

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
That's interesting but this privacy policy also says that is for machine learning technology purposes and that some human interaction is required, in addition only few employees have chess and have to go through background investigation in order to have access to this data set of accessing Evernote information as well.

It's a little scary to think someone out there is reading your private information, but isn't Apple, Google, Uncle Sam doing the same thing. Now days in the age of the internet nothing is completely secured, no matter how many layers of encryption it has.

In my case for storing more private information such as internet logins, bank account information, and so on... I use an app called "Password Plus" from DataViz, and even that data I know is not completely safe. Then again Google knows all or most of these password via Google Chrome since most of these login passwords are stored in the google Chrome browser.

So I wouldn't worry much as long as you're not storing social security numbers, or other logins such as bank accounts and or other sites you wouldn't want wondering eyes to look into.

I also wanted to cleared out that the plus upgrade is $3.99/month not $7.99/month as I had previously stated.
You bring up some good points for sure and I do appreciate the transparency from the company. I just wanted to point that out for those who may currently use Evernote or who are thinking of switching to Evernote.

Reactions: chestvrg

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I've tried Evernote, OneNote and Notebook by Zoho. I've always ended up coming back to the iOS notes app. It's simple and effective and I don't think you'll find anything much better for hand written notes.

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
I just got the iPhone 7 plus, yesterday. I am interested to know what y'alls favorite note taking app(s) is/are. I've heard great things about ProCreate buuuuut I can't download that since it's only for the iPad. I would love to be able to handewrite notes. I'm sure I'm being super picky with what I want an app todo. Lol. TIA.

I've used Notability and I'm currently using GoodNotes and both are solid choices. I prefer GoodNotes though.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Procreate is a drawing app rather than a note taking app.
Since you specifically ask for handwriting, I won't mention Evernote or OneNote either.

My personal Top 4: GoodNotes, Notability, Notes Plus and Noteshelf.
Search this forum for many comments, or YouTube for reviews.

I'm a long time user of GoodNotes, but the iCloud synchronization stopped working for a number of users.
Since I'm one of them, I reluctantly switched to Notability.

Check my Youtube channel for GoodNotes templates if you like ;-)

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
In the past years I have used quite a few note taking apps. I always type my notes, though I used Noteshelf with handwriting the past year. I went back to typing because for me it's faster and I can search (I know there are apps with handwriting recognition where you can search, but my handwriting is too bad for that :) )

My favorite app for typed notes was Notability. But I also tried Drafts and I liked its simplicity, speed and the ability to take a note immediately. That made me look at the standard Apple Notes app.

While Apple Notes was only so-so in the past, it has made great improvements which I wasn't aware of. It now strikes (for me) the right balance between simplicity/speed and functionality.

Apple notes
- great for typed notes
- good text formatting options (but not as good as Notability on iOS)
- very good sharing functionality
- good integration with iOS share sheets
- Good and fast search function, I think it is a bit faster than Notability
- Search on attachments, very handy when searching for sketches or photographed whiteboards
- iPhone, iPad and iMac versions
- Sync works reliable and fast. I know sync wasn't that good a few versions ago, but this has been greatly improved

Apple notes minuses
- no palm protection for non-Apple styluses, makes writing/drawing a bit awkward
- iMac version does not show the number of notes in a map (iOS version does however)

Notability
- great for typed notes
- great text formatting options
- meanwhile seems good for handwritten notes. I always found handwritten notes only so-so in Notability, but this has greatly improved
- Had good sharing functionality from the start
- Has two levels of maps to store notes
- iPhone, iPad and iMac versions
- Good search function
- Sync works reliable, sometimes a bit slow though
- iMac version has zoom function (like iOS version)

minuses
- cannot resize the maps column on iMac (this would make the map names more readable)
- requires a bit more taps for some functions

Daily notes + tasks
- quick note entry
- very easy to use
- good for typed notes
- easy search function
- tags

minuses
- text formatting options so-so (only recently added bullets and numbering and bold/underline/italic only added in 2014)
- not many sharing options
- I always feel Fluid Touch is lagging behind when it comes to implementing new iOS functions
- only one level of maps for storing notes (but it has tags in addition)
- no iMac version

Noteshelf
- for me the best app for handwriting (Goodnotes close second)
- handwriting is very fluid and looks good
- Good pen options

minuses
- no iPhone or iMac versions
- not many sharing options
- I always feel Fluid Touch is lagging behind when it comes to implementing new iOS functions
- no search function for handwritten notes

Drafts
I tried Drafts for a short time. While it is a good app, it didn't fit my needs.
- Simplicity, very easy to use
- Speed
- ability to take a note immediately
- the best sharing options
- markdown support

Minuses
- Markdown support, but I prefer 'standard' format options
- full text only, so no adding of attachments etc..
- no iMac version

Last edited:

iJJ19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
I've used Notability and I'm currently using GoodNotes and both are solid choices. I prefer GoodNotes though.
Do you hand write notes at all? That's what I'm trying to find is a good app that works well with hand written notes.
[doublepost=1481844631][/doublepost]
Procreate is a drawing app rather than a note taking app.
Since you specifically ask for handwriting, I won't mention Evernote or OneNote either.

My personal Top 4: GoodNotes, Notability, Notes Plus and Noteshelf.
Search this forum for many comments, or YouTube for reviews.

I'm a long time user of GoodNotes, but the iCloud synchronization stopped working for a number of users.
Since I'm one of them, I reluctantly switched to Notability.

Check my Youtube channel for GoodNotes templates if you like ;-)
Thank you! That is what I was looking for.

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Do you hand write notes at all? That's what I'm trying to find is a good app that works well with hand written notes.
[doublepost=1481844631][/doublepost]
Thank you! That is what I was looking for.

Yes, occasionally on my iPhone but all the time on my iPad Pro.

fretn

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Next to the stock note taking app, I use vesper, it's a great app. I use it for notes that I need every now and then.

I use the stock note taking app more for quick notes or things I shouldn't forget

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Next to the stock note taking app, I use vesper, it's a great app. I use it for notes that I need every now and then.

I use the stock note taking app more for quick notes or things I shouldn't forget
Vesper was pulled from the store.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
See the What's New section there:

"Q Branch is closing down, and Vesper will no longer be developed.."

This move seems to impose future limitations.
[doublepost=1481915567][/doublepost]

It would seem that Evernote is now reversing course on this policy revision.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/16/e...t-wouldve-exposed-users-content-to-employees/

Reactions: timeconsumer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.