Note-taking app versus Pages or other Word Processor App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by thibaulthalpern, Apr 21, 2011.

1. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

I've been wondering why people would prefer to buy a note-taking app versus say a more fully developed word processor app like Pages or some thing else. Beyond price differences (I think Page app is about $10 and many note-taking apps are below $8?) what other reasons are there?

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

The most obvious difference is freehand note taking.

For those that prefers to type instead, Pages lack of outline mode which can be very valuable for note taking.

3. thibaulthalpern thread starter macrumors regular

Ah I see. How well does freehand note taking work? Are the note apps able to OCR your handwriting and transform it into text?

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

None of the notetaking apps have OCR for freehand drawing. As the name implies, it's just freehanding writing and drawing in their original handwriting glory. Some apps have zoom mode to help you write with your fingers, but as far as I know, none convert to text.

5. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

Most note taking apps have advanced formatting functions that allow you be a bit more creative in the moment. (highlight, draw circles, add a "stickie", insert a pdf or picture to annotate. I've attached a demo I did quickly with notarize (yes it's gibberish) but there are many apps that do similar things. You can also record the meeting with Notarize and have the sound and pages synced. It's pretty cool. Again, other apps do this as well. I'll use Pages or Office HD when I'm drafting a document because they have more traditional word processing features. (margins, bullets, etc..)

6. Uhaa008 macrumors newbie

O yes, they do...

Try Writepad. It converts to text. I believe one of the others uses the same recognition engine but I can't remember which
    David

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

Word processor doesn't mean better - it depends on what you need.

Something like Notebooks for iPad is very feature-heavy and very good for organising work and research.

Also, an app like this can work better into someone's workflow when they're using their Mac. For example, if you look at users of Scrivener, many find Notebooks for iPad works well with it, far better than a word processor app, because that's not they need.

8. reputationZed macrumors 65816

A word processor like pages is overkill in a lot of situations, like driving to the market in a 5 ton truck rather than a car just to pick up a six pack and a bag of chips. Check out apps like IA Writer or Markdown Note which offer an extremely clean interface so you can concentrate on what you are writing rather than how it is formatted.

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg