Note Taking app

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tsmacman, Jul 16, 2011.

1. tsmacman macrumors member

Hey does anyone know of an app thats similar to microsoft office one note, I want to be able to take notes an organize them by subject and keep it almost like a digital comp. book

Thanks,
    T

2. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

MS Word has a notebook interface option that has most of one notes features, and evernote seems to be pretty popular as well. I have both. Evernote is free.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I like TODOLISTS from the app store but if you want more in depth I suggest THINGS, OMNIFOCUS or EVERNOTE.

4. davmcn macrumors regular

I have evernote, works well. :apple:

5. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Those are pretty much all task management apps and todo lists, he wants more of a note taking app as far as I know.

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

evernote
    something much more, and a little less than one note. it is free to try and is by far the most used note taking app i have. i have the premium plan, which is 5 dollars a month. a little known feature of evernote is that your 1gb upload per month (on premium plan) is cumulative. in other words, if you make full use of upload amount each month, at the end of four years of college, you'll have 48gb of info stored in it. excellent syncing features.

voodoopad
    a personal wiki. you create the organization scheme, so not as easy to get started with as onenote, but much more customizable. a very cool feature is that anytime you write or have written a word thatmatches a page name, it automatically provides links to it throughout. for instance, i made a page for a historical figure, and now every instance his name appears it is linked back to that master page. you can make links in one note, but it won't do them automatically like this. pretty good syncing features. free to try.

devonthink
    i never could get into this one, but many people swear by it, and i admit that it sounds brilliant. free to try. i wish i cold say more, but i got hooked onto evernote before i could explore it.

8. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

What about OneNote?

9. entricated macrumors newbie

I've tried about every note, todo list, and GTD app on the app store. IMO you get your best work done with paper and pen. Use apps as extensions of your main note taking app (paper and pen).

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

why not just use TextEdit and save your documents in one folder named "Notes" with subfolders labeled with all of your subjects?

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've been using Evernote, I like it plenty. And there's a free iPhone app it syncs with.

12. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

I just run OneNote though VMware, to me nothing can beat OneNote for note taking across multiple subjects in school/uni.

13. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I prefer to use MS word's note taking feature. I just create folders for the subject that I'm in. I can organize each separate file by chapter, and then separate that file into sections.

14. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Never used OneNote but here's a vote for TaskPaper. It's good for a to-do list but I take notes with it at conferences and prefer the way it formats the notes.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

well, now that you brought it up, i'll give my speel :)

i do the following:
    1. use pencil/pen and paper for notes in class or meetings
    2. read on the ipad throughout the day (digitize everything)
    3. scan notes into pdfs (using scansnap) and upload them to evernote

i have scanned in all of the books and articles i need for my work (including fun stuff). these are stored in goodreader. all of my handwritten notes are in evernote. i've used onenote, and it definitely has a lot going for it, but if you are like me (syncing devices) there is nothing that comes close to evernote. basically, there is nothing in onenote for me that evernote doesn't have or even do better.

it's free, of course, but the premium plan is when things get really exciting.

16. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

17. Freyqq macrumors 601

The best alternative is notebook layout in word, but one note for windows is the best notetaking program out there. Unfortunately, there is no Mac version.

18. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

The only issue I have with Evernote is that it is a great App for getting information into, but a pain if you want to export the information out of Evernote. Notebook allows you to export your data in a number of formats.