Note Taking App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by squeakers, Aug 21, 2010.

1. squeakers macrumors newbie

Hello!
    I am a veterinary student and just bought my first Macbook yesterday, after my third Windows laptop in 4 years crashed :mad:

I need some help finding an app/program that I can use for note taking. All of my professors teach using Power Points that they post before class, so that we can take notes on them. I don't like to have to individually save a million ppts, so I was using One Note on my previous computer and importing the ppt files into "notebooks"- and then taking notes on the same page as the ppt next to each slide. I really prefer to study this way- it's much easier than having 20 ppts open on the computer.

Does anyone know of something that could do this for me in a "notebook" type format?

Thanks!

I should possibly mention that I already purchased iWork and Office for Mac, so if someone knew of a way to do it in one of these programs, that would be helpful as well. Thanks!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you convert your PPTs to PDFs (very simple using OS X's print options), you can take notes into the PDF using Preview. This doesn't provide much more, but if your only need is the ability to take notes into a PDF, this can work well.

For help converting your PowerPoints into PDFs: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1035.html

3. gibbz macrumors 68030

You can directly save ppts to pdfs in Office 2008 without doing the print method.

4. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Have you tried Word for Mac in Notebook view?

5. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

If you are looking for something to type note, import images etc. and you want it in a notebook form you could try Circus Ponies NoteBook
    Or if you want more of a file by file organiser I would recommend Together

6. soupy11 macrumors newbie

I am in the same situation as you, I like to keep the PDF, or PPT's organized by lecture date with notes attached, all in one place. I use Curio for this. I convert lecture notes to PDF and with the PDF Spread feature you can quickly set up an amazing whiteboard for taking notes. See this video for an example.....

http://www.zengobi.com/products/curio/images/SpreadPDF.mov

7. nadyne macrumors 6502a

If you're already familiar with OneNote from Office for Windows, you can use OneNote via the web. It's free via Office Live. You do need to have a Live ID (which you might already have, especially if you use Microsoft Messenger or Hotmail). You get 25 GB of free storage. You can either upload your existing OneNote notebooks or create new ones, and you can edit your content in OneNote. It's not as fully-featured as OneNote for Windows, but it's quite awesome.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

8. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Have you thought about Microsoft Office live? It has OneNote there, and if your an individual, it's free.

I'm playing with it now...

Coachingguy