Note taking apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by bomikepa, Nov 11, 2012.

1. bomikepa macrumors member

Hey all

I have a ipad four and bought a stylus today I am trying to take some notes w this. I bought notability and I have good notes for free.

The issue is when I put my hand on the screen and I try and write the ipad gets confused with the input from my hand vs stylus. Are there apps for note taking that address this issue.

Before burning all my cash on apps that have the same issue I was wondering if any of you have had good experiences with some apps.

Thanks all

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Many/most note taking apps have a wrist guard setting
    I know Noteshelf does, not sure about Notability, but check the settings

3. harrymason macrumors newbie

Notability has wrist guard and it is a very very good note taking app. Sometimes it is on sale for only $1. I bought it at like $3 and no complains whatsoever.:D

4. bomikepa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! Il check out settings for wrist guard!

5. bomikepa thread starter macrumors member

I can't find the wrist guard setting in notability??? Where is it???

6. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I use Goodnotes. I've tried notability but prefer Goodnotes.

7. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Good question. I have Notability and I can't find this under Settings.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Penultimate is what I use. It ha a wrist guard setting

9. reputationZed macrumors 65816

You might find a few threads on the subject in the iPad apps forum. There are a number of good apps, but I have yet to find one as convenient as pen and paper.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Noteshelf, Penultimate and Notes Plus all have wrist guards.

11. Quantus macrumors regular

Note taking on an ipad is like drawing with an enormous crayon, due to the type of stylus that must be used. Can't wait for apple to incorporate wacom support. I bet we see that at the same time the retina mini is announced.

12. G-Money macrumors member

I use an Adonit Jot Pro stylus with Notability - and I find it's better than writing with a pen and pad. I have a jailbroken iPad 3 (which is why I can't upgrade yet) so I use Activator to set a long press of the home button to turn 'Multitasking Gestures' off and on. If your iPad is jailbroken, I would recommend doing the same.

Otherwise, the tip for Notability (which I don't think has a setting for a wrist-guard because it's either activated - in the zoomed-in mode - or you have to hit the button with the hand icon on the bottom right) is just to turn off multitasking gestures in Settings > General > Multitasking Gestures.

Either way, you won't have to worry about your palm/wrist messing everything up, and you'll have a kickass notepad app. I highly recommend the Jot pen if you're looking for an accurate stylus (that doesn't feel like a 'crayon').

13. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

I've been also thinking to start taking notes on my iPad Mini. I am interested in knowing which stylus you recommend, along with a good note application.

14. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

When in note taking, select the "pencil" icon (next to the type "t|") from the top bar menu.

Bottom right corner has 2 icons appear in "pencil" mode.

(1) Icon on left (Magnify glass + Pencil) will enable zoom for precise writing. Write along this section of the window. Once you reach to the green area, wait a second and will automatically scroll for you for continuous writing. It will return to the next line automatically when you reach the end of the row.

You can adjust the height of this bottom window by selecting/holding the "3 horizontal bars" icon next the Magnify Glass + Pencil icon by sliding up and down. Quick touch this icon will get you out of the zoom mode.

(2) Icon on right of the two (Hand + Guard) is the wrist guard area to write directly on the notepad. You can place your palm in the bottom grey area. Again, you can adjust the height of this bottom window by selecting/holding the "3 horizontal bars" icon next the Magnify Glass + Pencil icon by sliding up and down. Quick touch this icon will get you out of the zoom mode.

Good luck!

----------

Thanks for reminding me about the Jot! I've heard about it before it was released and totally forgot about it. I think I'm going to have to buy it now! I have the next best stylus, Bamboo Stylus and have been using it for almost 18 months for note taking, annotations and drawing/painting. I love it.

15. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

UPad. This is often overlooked but the best one IMO.

16. bomikepa thread starter macrumors member

I went to frys looking
    For a kengiston stylus....I left with a jot pro! It's a very well made creature very well crafted. I still have to figure out how to use the apps...I bought note taker hd for five bucks and I think it's more. Confusing than notability and the wrist gaurd for me was terrible!

17. jojoba macrumors 68000

I have both 7notes and Notability, which I think are some of the best note taking apps in the app store that include hand writing options. I prefer Notability, though. I've written a bit here on how I use it. It's the app I find most comfortable for hand writing, and it's good value for money at one dollar.

18. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

My favorite app is Noteshelf, it has a wrist guard that automatically moves down the page as you write. It works great.

19. richimages macrumors regular

Very Happy with NoteShelf. Nicley organized for multiple books, and page look ups. (Allows you to see upto 9 page thumbnails at a time when browsing back through books. ) Multiple books, and multiple page styles in the same book.
    :)

[​IMG]

BTW ... you may want to peruse this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1130772

20. richimages macrumors regular