note-taking software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ridge08, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Ridge08 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I`ve spent a bunch of time looking at note-taking and mind-mapping software on macupdate.com and feel a bit confused about which applications actually do what I need.

I`m looking for a simple program for taking notes. Not just bulleted lists, but ideas growing into pages and pages of text. I need to be able to create hierarchies with multiple levels - and a decent number of them - to organize my thoughts into categories and sub-categories (and sub-sub... etc). No fancy formatting features are required. A simple text search function would be nice.

I`ve been using Notes Guru, but I can`t create a hierarchy and I can`t re-order my notes: they just show up in order of creation date. Being able to order folders alphabetically would be lovely.

I`m using OSX with an Intel processor.

What I`m looking for seems pretty simple, so it`d be nice to find an inexpensive or free program that`s stable and isn`t bloated with features I don`t need. I`m wondering if a program made for writers like Scrivener would best do what I want. If it`s going to cost money, though, decent search and tagging functions, as well as basic text and paragraph formatting options, would be useful.

Any advice appreciated!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What's wrong with TextEdit, Microsoft Word, or any other plain text editor?

Finder?

3. Paddrino macrumors newbie

4. Ridge08 thread starter macrumors member

I see what you`re saying and actually hadn`t considered it. I`d end up creating hundreds of different text files in a complex folder system and keeping 10 or more files open at once. It`d work, but at the expense of convenience and keeping my desktop uncluttered.

I`d much prefer the interface of having everything in a single window, and I know that`d keep me much more organised. So I think I`ll try out a few programs to see if anything works for me, but I`m actually going to try your suggestion for now.

Recommendations still definitely welcome!

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They aren't exactly tabs, but BBEdit has a drawer.

Attached Files:

6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

For notes I usually use OmniOutliner (check your Applications folder... it should be pre-installed), but the documents you create with it are mostly limited to, well, outlines. You can attach lots of files, notes, and stuff, but everything is within an outline metaphor.

Aside from that, VoodooPad offers a wiki-like notetaking solution.

7. Slumbercub macrumors regular

8. djourd macrumors member

Take a look at Omni Outliner. I like it a lot.

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Zoho Notes, Evernote, google Notes, MacJournal, Uber note ...

I'd recommend any web based app's, easy to access from any computer.

10. freebird2003 macrumors member

+1 to evernote.

its one of the best free note taking cloud apps out there. there is a premium acc for it. but the free version works fines.

if you have a mobile device like iphone, blackberry, u will love it even more.