Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Just wanted to put a quick note out there to developers...we need a Christmas shopping app soon! Christmas is already alive in stores and people have already started to make lists and shop to balance out the money over the next few months.

I know there are current shopping lists out there, but they arent as good for Christmas shopping as we need to input recipient names, etc.

Anyone know if any of these are in the works? I'd love to see one released soon. I'm having to use Notes currently for my lists and unfortunately it doesnt give me the option to strike out things that I've bought.

Thanks! :D

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
I'm not trying to criticize your app request, but why do people feel they "need" apps (something thats never before existed) to enable them to do simple tasks, that can easily be accomplished in any other fashion?

Pretty soon folks are going to be saying they "need" an opinion generator app, so they don't have to bother with thinking, or interrupt their app purchasing, just for something as silly as "thought".

I can already see the app description:
Someone ask you question? Don't feel like thinking? CNN & Fox News bring you the first ever Opinion Generator. It comes preprogrammed with all of the answers you'll ever need, on any topic, including:
"It must be Al Quaeda"
"Global warming"
"Gun control"

COMING SOON Version 1.2:
Includes updated opinions:
"Iran is dangerous"
"Obama was born in the U.S."
"Paulson wasn't actually CEO of Goldman Sachs before writing the bailout plan to save his company that he doesn't still own a massive amount of stock in........."

You get the picture.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Ok, I WANT this app! :rolleyes:

I can make use with other apps, however they dont fit the bill like a specific app would. I believe I stated that in my OP. I am currently using Notes, but it would be better and more productive to have a Christmas shopping one. Whats the big deal? Im sure you, as well as most others have apps for purposes that they dont "need" either, but they make things more useful.

chris1016

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
I agree, I could definitely use an app like this. Especially if it includes a passcode lock, so no curious souls can spoil their gifts.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I agree, I could definitely use an app like this. Especially if it includes a passcode lock, so no curious souls can spoil their gifts.

Another great feature! My husband and my daughter will occasionally use my phone, I dont need them opening up Notes or even another shopping list and seeing what I planned on getting them and what I have already bought!

canadacow

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
I think the real driving factor in your request is "how much are you willing pay?"

Since it's effectively a holiday app, I'm going to use some of the knowledge gained from my experience writing one (see my post here: post) and guess that your expected price for this app will be somewhere between "free" and "free"

I guarantee if someone were to make such an app and charge even 0.99 for it, there'd be complaints out the ying/yang of dozens of pre-existing apps that do the same thing. Heck, releasing it for free will garner it the same complaints.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I think the real driving factor in your request is "how much are you willing pay?"

Since it's effectively a holiday app, I'm going to use some of the knowledge gained from my experience writing one (see my post here: post) and guess that your expected price for this app will be somewhere between "free" and "free"

I guarantee if someone were to make such an app and charge even 0.99 for it, there'd be complaints out the ying/yang of dozens of pre-existing apps that do the same thing. Heck, releasing it for free will garner it the same complaints.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

I'm not one to expect things for free and while getting things for free is very nice, I will pay for what I want. Now, since this requested app is only seasonal and can really only be used for a few months out of the year, I cant see paying anymore than $2-3 for it, but I do understand that devs work to get paid and not work for free, and have no problem paying them a reasonable fee to do so.
Being that there are so many other holiday apps for countdowns and such, I expect to see a Christmas shopping app eventually, but I did just want to put the bug in their ear to make it happen soon if they do want to earn anything from it.

chris1016

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
I don't see why it has to be seasonal... Call it "Gifts" and use it year round for:

Birthdays
Graduations
Marriages
Births
Valentine's Day
Whatever else you want.

I wouldn't mind paying $1-3 for it; I don't expect it for free, though that would be great.

canadacow

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
I don't see why it has to be seasonal... Call it "Gifts" and use it year round for:

Birthdays
Graduations
Marriages
Births
Valentine's Day
Whatever else you want.

I wouldn't mind paying $1-3 for it; I don't expect it for free, though that would be great.

Done. Find it here. Do I get to collect a finder's fee? :D

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
I see we have 3 now:

Santa's List
Christmas List
My Christmas List

Anyone tried them? Any preferences?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.