Notebook apps for new and old notes

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by diane143, May 11, 2012.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Time to get serious about the iPad!

I was playing with some notepad apps awhile back. I find that Notability is the one I write best in if I want to use a stylus.

My needs are this: I work for an events company. I've been there since late 2009, so two full seasons plus the late 2009 events. We put on over 2 dozen events and I am involved in almost all of them - and I have two roles in some. We have weekly meetings and I do take notes, BUT last fall I switched to a bigger notebook, which I needed to carry more around with (and my old one was almost full). Downside is that I don't have my old notes to refer to anymore unless I carry both around PLUS I just write things out in the book as each day goes, I don't have categories for everything. I also had no desire to create a binder for each event - especially if I had to store them at my house! (I work from home a lot)

I'd like to use the iPad to gather everything up for me. The boss caught me off guard the other day by printing out our reports of a race last year and she had MY notes in her hand and I'm so glad she read them as they were important thing I had forgotten about.

Now, I love the look of the Paper by 53 app. When you go in, there is just a row of notepads that can all be titled. I was envisioning one for each event. But I'm not sure it will import and frankly that app depends way too much on gestures. Every time I'm in there I get stuck somewhere.

So back to Notability. It looks like I can take pix of my old notes with DocScanHD (I have the free version). With this I can import into Notability, though it won't convert to text (probably can't read my writing anyway lol).

I can of course type and write new notes. I think I can also import or copy old emails into each notebook too.

It does have a recording option - how good is that? Is there a limit to how long it can record for? I read a post here on AudioNote, how you can click on what you wrote and it will go right to that part of the recording. That's a pretty cool feature.

Ideally I'd like to have one app do as much as possible and avoid buying to many to test.

Some sort of synchronization with my laptop and/or the cloud may be helpful.

Oh - I did also download Evernote the other night, have not played with that much yet but it has good reviews. Not sure it can do everything I am looking for though, ie can I handwrite in it?

So I'd love to hear from those of you who are using your iPad to do things like this with!

Thanks!
    Diane

2. slimjim.dj macrumors newbie

3. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply! I hadn't found that one yet. I just checked it out and it looks like it doesn't export yet, nor will it import pix. Do you know if it will import PDF? I've been using that to get my old stuff in.

I've tried a number of "light" apps before investing in the pro version and I still keep coming back to Notability. It's not perfect but it is working at the moment, but I'm still up for something better. :)

Thanks!

4. slimjim.dj macrumors newbie

:D No Worries!

The iMac version exports, and the developers pages says the iPad version will get it at some point, along with photos...

The iMac version also supports import through the command line interface and they are working on improving the import!

The iPad version doesnt have everything that I want, but as the iMac version does, I'm hoping it wont be too long before the iPad version is updated and for £1.49 for the app I thought I couldn't grumble!

I will also be buying a imac when they get the next refresh so I will buy the mac app and will be able to sync through icloud and then do everything I want to :cool:

5. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hear what you're saying! I have the desktop version of a workout app. It imports all my stats from my GPS, I bought it back in 2007 or so and I couldn't live without it. A couple of years ago he developed a mobile version and it doesn't have nearly the features! As a matter of fact it's pretty useless IMO, and the mobile version was $10!!! :( He's only updated it twice (he updates the desktop version more often) and I can't see that he's added anything to it.

it's so frustrating when you find the perfect app for the computer and the mobile version falls short. It sounds like the developer of your app is definitely planning on adding some great features though! I will keep my eyes on it. :)

That's my only complaint about the mobile apps, it's hard to demo them. Notabilty was .99 so I took a chance on it. I won't be upset if I replace it with something better. But you can easily spend a small fortune trying out a ton of apps! :eek: