Notebook Coolers -- with data

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powz, Jun 10, 2008.

1. powz macrumors regular

One of the downsides of the MBP is the extreme heat it generates, which is why I'm searching for an effective notebook cooler. I already have SMC Fan Control and I undervolt in Vista but I'm looking for something more. There are a number of threads in which people recommend coolers but few contain hard data in terms of before/after temperatures to backup their claims. Can anyone recommend a good cooler (preferably with before/after temperature comparisons at the same task and fan speed)?

I'll start this off. I have a 15" SR MBP and tried using the Vantec LapCool 5. I used SMC Fan Control to set my fan speed at a steady 4000 RPM and played songs on iTunes. Using the iStat Pro widget, I measured an average temperature of about 52 C for my CPU A after 5 minutes without the LapCool 5. Doing the same thing with the LapCool 5 resulted in NO noticeable difference in average temperature, i.e. this notebook "cooler" is a bust and I'm looking for an effective replacement...

2. XeKayeM macrumors newbie

ive had a few of coolers with my laptops over the years and believe it or not the best one ive found is a small belkin one... its about 30-40 bucks has a concave which the laptop sits over and a single 15 blade fan in the center. Out of my 3 current coolers this one cools the best. i dont know if this helps any but it goes to show that a cheap cooler can do the job.

3. powz thread starter macrumors regular

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I have no empirical data, but if you're just trying to avoid scarring the tops of your thighs from the heat generated by the MBP, I would encourage you to consider an "iLap" from Rain. Not only does it allow air to circulate underneath the MBP, but it also places the machine at an angle that's a lot more desirable for viewing.

Just a suggestion...

MacDann

5. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for the suggestion but I already have something to put my MBP on while working on my lap. I forget what it's called, but it's something from IKEA -- looks ugly but gets the job done. I'm mainly looking for a notebook cooler for the MBP to keep it from overheating and reduce fan use.

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'll second that. And the iLap works great on a desk as well as on your lap; the cushion on the front is easily removable.

7. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I don't have any hard evidence, but my setup has kept my fans from kicking into high rpms as often as they used to when gaming in bootcamp. I have a Targus dual fan pad, to which I added some 1/2" thick strips of material to elevate the computer for better circulation. I'm happy

8. gangzoom macrumors member

I've just bought the Blekin cooling pad for my macbookpro and have say its fantasic. Its small, quiet, and most defintaly keeps my MBP cool!!

As you can see from the screen shot, even after 2hrs of using Word/Safari/itunes the enclosure temperature is still below 30...and the bottom of the laptop actually feels cool...where as before am pretty sure my MBP thought my desk was an extended heat sink!!

Attached Files:

9. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for the input! Would you mind doing an iStat screenshot without the Belkin cooling pad to compare?

10. gangzoom macrumors member

Here a comparison whilst running Windows XP in VMware Fusion, Safari, and light photoshop work...personally i was amazed at the 10 degree drop in CPU temp...all for just £13 :eek:

Attached Files:

11. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent, thanks so much! That's an impressive amount of cooling for a notebook that's notoriously difficult to cool... I think I'll be picking one of these up.

12. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Just one more question -- I can't seem to find this in the specs. How much does the Belkin stand raise the notebook by? Thanks.

13. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Just as an update: Thanks to XeKayeM and gangzoom for recommending the Belkin cooling pad! I received mine today and first impressions are very positive. My "normal" temperature (email, MSN, websurfing) is now down 8-9 C. I'll do some more rigorous testing later in Vista while gaming. An added bonus is that it raises my MBP to a much more comfortable level on my desk (tapers up to about 4" at the back). It's also quite comfortable on my lap, but it's wavy bottom sometimes makes it rock a bit. This is my third cooling pad, and the only one that actually does what it's meant to do! I only wish I'd gotten it sooner...